Mowing BX2200 - missing shaft boot

/ BX2200 - missing shaft boot #1  

ConcordBX

After mowing our field, I noticed a rubber boot/shaft seal lying in the grass. I have a BX2200 with a 54" MMM and bagger. I checked the front axles and the axle boots appear to be okay. Does anyone know where this might have come from? IMG_3174.JPG

/ BX2200 - missing shaft boot #2  
The front axle doesn't have any boots -- it's all internal -- that is the steering cylinder and tie rod/joint you see in the background with a boot.

Did you check to see if the prop shaft from transmission to front axle is missing any covers? They usually have a protective cover over the joint(s), though it normally doesn't look like the boot in your hand in the picture.

Is it possible the mower, or some other implement, lost that boot?

/ BX2200 - missing shaft boot #3  
Any chance someone was 4-wheeling with their ATV or small 4x4 out there? That looks like the boot for a CV joint.

/ BX2200 - missing shaft boot
I've checked the online parts catalogs and I can't find anything that looks like this part. I'm pretty sure it came off my tractor - our field is difficult to access without me knowing it so I doubt it came from something like an ATV. I will call the dealer and see if they have any ideas. It just had the 500 hr service, so I assume that they would have seen the torn boot when servicing it.

/ BX2200 - missing shaft boot #5  
Most likely it's one of the two transmission to motor boots. I see it all the time. They rot out and fall off. Just look up under the machine. It's the highest shaft, follow it from the motor to the tranny. Should be a lot on both ends. Replace both at the same time is my advice. Clean the joint and repack with fresh grease.