Mowing BX2200 "60" mid mount mower spindle noise

/ BX2200 "60" mid mount mower spindle noise #1  

DB Pilot

Gold Member
Tractor
Case Farmall 65A, L3800 Kubota, BX2200 Kubota
I bought my BX2200 in August of 2001. For me it has been the best mower ever. One thing I hopefully fixed is a persistent clicking noise in the left spindle hub of the MMM. It's been making the noise for about 3 seasons now and can be cured by tightening the top nut where the grease fitting is. Up until this year. I found a wobble in that blade and tightening would not help nor would it stay tight for very long. :thumbdown:

Well that means new bearings at least and hopefully not a whole hub assembly. :shocked: I decided to pull the hub assembly off the deck and rebuild it or at least find out what parts I will need. :thumbsup: Tapped out the arbor, grease seals and bearings. Degreased everything. Then regreased everything. While inspecting the bearings I didn't find anything loose, wobbly or binding up. :) And the Arbor didn't look damaged or worn. :) Also have 1680 hrs on the machine. :cool:

I reseated the bearings and put everything back together. And now for a small detail that I hadn't thought about before. :2cents: With the deck standing on end so that I have easy access to the top and underside of the deck I placed the spindle assembly back on the deck and tightened the top nut with NO belt tension on the pulleys, plus installed the blade. I'm thinking that the belt tension on these decks is strong enough that it makes tightening a loose top nut difficult to seat nice and square. I also think that the bearings get unseated just a little over time and are causing the clicking noise.

This morning I took the mower out for a test run and the deck sounds very good just a nice powerful hum. :) Actually better than it has in years. Will it last, I can't say but I will keep you posted. :cool: The belt tension is very strong I noticed, so if anyone has an easier method of installing that belt, I'm interested.

/ BX2200 "60" mid mount mower spindle noise #2  
I have orange zero turn ZD's and BXxxxx machines and deck, belt removal isn't a fast process--- going with a drive over when I replace these machines...........

/ BX2200 "60" mid mount mower spindle noise
Well, I said I would keep all posted on the mower spindle. It began loosening after just a few hours of use. :confused3: Here is what I have learned. The bearings were not in as good of shape as I had thought. :eek: So I bought two new ones. While I was at my Kubota dealer I asked about a new spindle and they do stock that part. So I bought that and a new top nut (M18-1.5), a machine washer and a top and bottom grease seal. The belt pulley that sits on top of the old spindle had developed a very loose fit over the 13 years but it was a perfect fit on the new spindle. :)
I think that the bearings although turning freely were worn enough that at high speeds they were not running smoothly and causing a drag on the spindle which that and vibration would loosen the top nut. It is staying put now with all new spindle and top nut threads. :thumbsup:
Now that the left blade is so quiet I can hear the right side is a bit noisy and the belt pulley has some slop in it so I will rebuild that side too. :cool:
Have also learned to put the drive belt on much easier. It is now a 1 minute job instead of 10 and less wear on the belt and me. :laughing:

Looking over my old posts and can't believe it has been 3 years since I rebuilt the left and right spindles for the Kubota 60" mower deck. They are still working nicely. :thumbsup:

/ BX2200 "60" mid mount mower spindle noise #5  
Well, I said I would keep all posted on the mower spindle. It began loosening after just a few hours of use. :confused3: Here is what I have learned. The bearings were not in as good of shape as I had thought. :eek: So I bought two new ones. While I was at my Kubota dealer I asked about a new spindle and they do stock that part. So I bought that and a new top nut (M18-1.5), a machine washer and a top and bottom grease seal. The belt pulley that sits on top of the old spindle had developed a very loose fit over the 13 years but it was a perfect fit on the new spindle. :)
I think that the bearings although turning freely were worn enough that at high speeds they were not running smoothly and causing a drag on the spindle which that and vibration would loosen the top nut. It is staying put now with all new spindle and top nut threads. :thumbsup:
Now that the left blade is so quiet I can hear the right side is a bit noisy and the belt pulley has some slop in it so I will rebuild that side too. :cool:
Have also learned to put the drive belt on much easier. It is now a 1 minute job instead of 10 and less wear on the belt and me. :laughing:

Thanks for your info. I will be doing much of this same effort. What steps do you take now to speed up the process of belt removal and placement? Thank you.
Dan

Dano400, Mower Deck has been running so smoothly that I have not played with the belt since the rebuild so I don't remember the method I used. :confused: I will look at the deck and try to remember, I do have a vague idea, nothing to do with the spring except to release tension with a crowbar and other hand slips belt off. I should take the belt off for the winter and examine it, anyway. Last fall I bought a blade sharpener and balancer. I credit those items for keeping the deck running smooth. The sharpener is Yellow and uses your angle grinder to put an even grind to the blade. cost was $149. I have 4 sets of used blades for two mowers and an unused set for each. I never liked sharpening blades hence the extra sets but now it is a breeze with the sharpener. I have not worked with the center spindle as it looks complicated. It was the first time I rebuilt any spindle so i took pictures as it came apart and nothing had to be forced when putting back together. :thumbsup: 1950 hours on my 2001 Bx2200. :cool:

/ BX2200 "60" mid mount mower spindle noise #7  
By any chance do you still have those pictures? I am trying to figure out how to get the spindle out. Did you just tap it? Did you forcible remove the old oil seals? RCK60 for the BX2200 doesn't show any clips in there to hold the spindle. A few whacks and it didn't come out. I didn't want to pound to hard on the grease fitting, but I was expecting it to fall out once the nut was removed. Any help would be great! Thanks.

/ BX2200 "60" mid mount mower spindle noise #8  
I replaced the bearing in mine. I think I used a junk socket and gave it a few blows with the dead blow hammer.

Kiltedpiper98, Has it really been 5 years since I rebuilt the two outboard spindles on that mower deck. :shocked: I now have 2068 hours on my machine and all seems to be running well (knock on wood). Can not find the pictures. :eek: What I remember is that I unbolted the entire assembly from the Mower deck and placed that in my vise. I do not remember any forcing or hard pounding. I used a piece of wood and light tapping on the TOP of the arbor/spindle. The bearings either came with it or were easy to pull out and install with again light tapping and a socket. :thumbsup: Be sure to replace the pulley on top as the hexagon shape will be worn a lot and the new ones will fit nicely with no slop. Keep an eye on the spacers between bearings as I forgot it on one and had to reassembled one unit. :ashamed: Good luck. I will be mowing with mine today.

Grease fitting was first thing removed and last thing installed.

/ BX2200 "60" mid mount mower spindle noise #10  
Thanks, that is helpful. I was hoping to keep it on the deck, but, it will be easier to pull the whole thing.