Buying Used

/ Buying Used #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
I'd like to explore what people think about buying used versus new. Specifically new versus used tractors and implements. I'm under the impression that it used to be more common to buy things used than it is today, and I'm curious to hear if others think so and how it got that way.

Just using my own example, I'm an older guy, mechanically capable who has usually bought on the used market, and been decently successful at it.

My favorite purchases have been proven, classic or sought-after examples with low hours on them. Tractors, tools, cars, whatever.....from people who appreciate them and cared for them. That way I get the twin advantages of the previous owner having proven that the tool is good, and I save a little money in process. A few hundred hours of considerate use are as likely to be as valuable to me as a warranty.

Opinions? Differences?
rScotty

/ Buying Used #2  
I’ve never bought a new vehicle, a new piece of equipment with wheels or new trailer. The trailer is the closest one to being a good idea to buy new. They hold their value pretty good. But with vehicles and equipment you can save a lot of money if you’re patient.

/ Buying Used #3  
I'm in 100% agreement. My Wife wants to buy her car new... feels more safe that way. She buys/pays for it so I figure "ok".

I've never had a 'new' car. Heck, a year or so ago, I bought a used International 1066....from what I gather, it goes back to "around" 1975/77 era. Runs like a monster but, had to tinker on some things to get it roaring.

My rolling tool chest was falling apart. Stumbled across someone who had a Snapon rolling chest (about 6' tall) with side drawers on the right and a door/cabinet with shelves on the left. Had a full set of Snapon metric combo wrenches as well as a full set of Snapon SAE combo wrenches. Had a big bag of loose sockets (several of which helped to make my incomplete set, complete with some extras)

Had a near full set of Proto wrenches, some MAC tools, gasoline (yuck) generator that worked, AIR compressor (gas engine, yuck) that worked, some testing tools (relay tester some other oddity) and some odds/ends tools....

"come & pick up where it is, ALL of it.... for $1,500"

As it happened, my brother in law was heading his way in general, so drove the extra two hours to get it all and brought it all back to me.

Just in the right place at the right time with a requisite amount of luck.

/ Buying Used #4  
I have done both. In today's market the used equipment is bring a high price. And with the financing being so much easier to do on new and the warranties, it is hard not to consider new. I can understand and see both sides. I have purchased a good bit new in the past 3 years due to the used price being so high. Example: 7 ft disc, a good used, heavy duty,3 years old was priced at $1800. He had paid $2400. It had been on the market for several months. I purchased the same unit new for $2000. But I have not purchased a new truck in the past 30 years.

/ Buying Used #5  
I think it depends on what you’re looking for and it’s intended use. I’ve bought plenty of used cars, trucks, boats etc and done pretty well with that. It of course helps to know enough about what you’re buying to avoid mistakes, plus be able to wrench a bit. I’ve also bought many used guitars, guns, recurve bows, tools, etc where the story is the same.

When I decided to get a tractor my needs were a bit different because it’s main use was going to be at my deer camp 800 miles from my house, and it’d be a mile back in the woods doing it’s thing and a minimum of 16 miles from any help except for me. So I needed something that was very reliable + good trailer. I looked at tractors ranging from Ford N through recent Kubota, JD and NH and a bunch in between. I finally realized that a good used unit with attachments + a trailer was gonna cost me nearly as much as a new one. So I bought new and haven’t had to wrench on it once in 9 years except for maintenance. I love it.

I did start buying new half tons in 1990 but I keep them 10+ years and buy pretty basic models. I found that with the trucks I buy and use (pretty hard) that it’s a wash because decent low mileage used ones are butting up against new pricing with “deals”.

/ Buying Used #6  
its just like anything else. you have to be street smart about buying and educated on what you intend to buy.... new or used.
We are in a time period where there are soooo many people without street smarts and life skills. We all see this and will be effected by it.
so
Buying new or buying used is all good depending on how you see it.

/ Buying Used #7  
I buy both ways, it depends on the deal. If new is less expensive than used (yes that can happen) I'll buy new. If used is in short supply for what I'm after I'll buy new. If I can find used that's a good value I'll go that way. Actually a good deal used is my preference it just doesn't always work out that way.

/ Buying Used #8  
I'd like to explore what people think about buying used versus new. Specifically new versus used tractors and implements. I'm under the impression that it used to be more common to buy things used than it is today, and I'm curious to hear if others think so and how it got that way.

Just using my own example, I'm an older guy, mechanically capable who has usually bought on the used market, and been decently successful at it.

My favorite purchases have been proven, classic or sought-after examples with low hours on them. Tractors, tools, cars, whatever.....from people who appreciate them and cared for them. That way I get the twin advantages of the previous owner having proven that the tool is good, and I save a little money in process. A few hundred hours of considerate use are as likely to be as valuable to me as a warranty.

Opinions? Differences?
rScotty

What a great topic/question. I have a mix of both.
IMO new versus used is like say payments versus repairs :laughing:
I cannot write checks out for $100,000 farm tractors and square balers, so I would have to make payments
However, I am not capable of disassembling a power shift transmission on a bench in my shop, either. So I have to pay for some of my many repairs.
Repairs also cause down time at critical times (harvest, digging footings, etc) and its a lot less typical problem with new equipment. I cannot be repairing equipment with 100 acres of hay on the ground.

Over the last 30 years, it seems like to me that buying new works out better for a slightly bigger majority of owners and that majority grows slightly larger as each year goes by because fewer and fewer young uns are learning how to spin wrenches and equipment is much more complicated to fix. Probably a good marketing strategy for manufacturers, too. :laughing:

In summary, I kind of do both. Ill drive a new truck but buy used equipment I am capable of fixing or I believe will survive at least 2-3 years before a repair. Im sure everyone has their own sweet spot that works for them.

/ Buying Used #9  
My most recent purchases, a tractor, a car and a pickup truck were all new. In the case of the truck and tractor, the cost of new was maybe 10% more than used so we bought new. You factor in warranty, rebates, and maybe 0% financings and new often comes out to be a better deal.

/ Buying Used #10  
I’ve never bought a new vehicle, a new piece of equipment with wheels or new trailer. The trailer is the closest one to being a good idea to buy new. They hold their value pretty good. But with vehicles and equipment you can save a lot of money if you’re patient.

SO TRUE !!!