Buying a vehicle online

/ Buying a vehicle online #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
   / Buying a vehicle online #2  
I wouldn't buy it from across the country. If I can't see and test drive a vehicle I have zero interest. I guess you could fly to Phoenix and drive it home but if you don't like it you'll have to find a way back home.

/ Buying a vehicle online
^^^
I feel the same way. Yet there are some here who seem to do quite well buying long distance, and I thought this could evolve into a good discussion of how they do it.
My hope is that I can find a few trucks on the east coast below the rust belt; rent a small car one way so that I can bring a few basic tools, then drive back in a clean pickup.

/ Buying a vehicle online #4  
I bought both of my current cars sight unseen (other than pictures). Drove (1200 miles one way) my old cars that I was going to sell, trade or abandon in the dealer's lot if necessary and drove the 'new' ones home. Both were used and have continued to run fine aside from a few repairs expected on used cars for the last 15 years.

Note that was all 15 years ago. Not sure if I'd be willing to do it again.

/ Buying a vehicle online #5  
I hate making a long trip to pick something up and would generally rather pay more to buy something closer. Given that there aren’t many options for low mile 450 7.3s your choices are pretty limited. One of my buddies bought a truck in California and had it shipped home all site unseen. He’s braver than I am.

/ Buying a vehicle online #6  
Just had a neighbor fly to Tennessee and bought a jeep. Drove it back home

/ Buying a vehicle online #7  
Based on the cost of new, why not. Go for it.

/ Buying a vehicle online #8  
Gonna be a slow ride home with those 5.11 gears.

/ Buying a vehicle online #9  
People are much more likely to post something when they got a good deal on a purchase than admit the opposite. It's human nature to inflate our accomplishments and hide the failures. For all the good deals that you read about on TBN, how many other people are not posting about the deals that they made a mistake on?

It's all down to how much of a gambler you are. I wouldn't buy something used of significant value, sight unseen, with no way to get my money back if the only information available came from the seller. My only significant online used equipment purchase was through IronPlanet and the item had their "IronClad Assurance" certification. I'm sure that it's not perfect, but at least I had input from someone other than the seller about the condition of the equipment.
IronPlanet - IronClad Assurance(R)

Chris

Last edited:
   / Buying a vehicle online #10  
It seems to cheap to me. I would think to a Ford guy, that truck would be a holy grail and it would go for 2 or 3 times that, but you never know.