Buy 3400L or wait for 4000 series?

/ Buy 3400L or wait for 4000 series? #1  

ShadyHill

Tractor
Walker MT
Hi all, new member here.

I'm purchasing a new property and looking forward to some new tools to help me maintain it. It's 2.6 acres of wooded hill, with a 550' paved driveway. I'm in northeastern MA, so 2' of heavy, wet snow are a regular event.

There's also a small drainage/retention pond on the property, which my wife expects to become a neighborhood skating rink. A monster snowblower and serious traction seem to be in order.

I expect to use the bucket/grapple for mulch and debris, and I plan to build modular firewood racks to allow me to move firewood from the property edge to the back door. I'd like to move those with either an attachment for the bucket or pallet forks off of the three point hitch.

I've watched about 3/4 of the entire YouTube library featuring ventrac machines and was pretty well set on finding a nice used Ventrac 4500 or Steiner 450.

However, this morning I woke up to an add for used 2016 3400L

100 hours & looks like it was stored indoors
snowblower
bucket with grapple
"dozer blade"
stump grinder

They're asking $13.5K.

I have done zero research on the 3000 series, is this the screaming deal it appears to be? Perhaps even too good to be true?

Particularly with respect to traction and hydraulic power/flow, would I be giving up much with this machine as opposed to a 4500/450. I definitely expect to be using the bucket to it's fullest capacity.

Really appreciate any insight and looking forward to joining the community at some point

/ Buy 3400L or wait for 4000 series? #2  
There are coupe nice ones for sale on Craigslist near me in Somerset,Pa. plus a bunch of attachments ...... I think he was asking that price for a 4500 with 400 hours on it...jim

/ Buy 3400L or wait for 4000 series? #3  
I'm new to Steiner and know next to nothing about Ventrac.

But those attachments alone sound like $8-$10K. And you can't go wrong w 100 hours, if you don't mind getting used.

I'm getting a 30 year old Steiner 420 because a) my budget, b) cost of needed attachments, and c) I believe these machines last a long time even if you engine issues more often w used ones.

Is there a grapple for Steiner slip scoop?

/ Buy 3400L or wait for 4000 series? #4  
Having had both a. 3200 and 4500P I do a lot with the 4500... I rolled the 3200 over where I run around with the 4500P..... jim

/ Buy 3400L or wait for 4000 series? #5  
The 3000 series is belt drive and it has less hydraulic power than the 4500 and 450 Steiner. they are light weight also with aluminum front and rear differentials verses cast iron on the 4500 and 450.... jim

/ Buy 3400L or wait for 4000 series? #6  
Do you have a guess if a Steiner 420 or 450 would've rolled in the same spot?
Having had both a. 3200 and 4500P I do a lot with the 4500... I rolled the 3200 over where I run around with the 4500P..... jim

/ Buy 3400L or wait for 4000 series?
Really appreciate the feedback. I think it's a great deal, but unfortunately not the machine I'm looking for long term.

I'm still daydreaming about grabbing it, selling off the attachments I don't need and eventually finding a 4500.

/ Buy 3400L or wait for 4000 series? #8  
Hi all, new member here.

I'm purchasing a new property and looking forward to some new tools to help me maintain it. It's 2.6 acres of wooded hill, with a 550' paved driveway. I'm in northeastern MA, so 2' of heavy, wet snow are a regular event.

There's also a small drainage/retention pond on the property, which my wife expects to become a neighborhood skating rink. A monster snowblower and serious traction seem to be in order.

I expect to use the bucket/grapple for mulch and debris, and I plan to build modular firewood racks to allow me to move firewood from the property edge to the back door. I'd like to move those with either an attachment for the bucket or pallet forks off of the three point hitch.

I've watched about 3/4 of the entire YouTube library featuring ventrac machines and was pretty well set on finding a nice used Ventrac 4500 or Steiner 450.

However, this morning I woke up to an add for used 2016 3400L

100 hours & looks like it was stored indoors
snowblower
bucket with grapple
"dozer blade"
stump grinder

They're asking $13.5K.

I have done zero research on the 3000 series, is this the screaming deal it appears to be? Perhaps even too good to be true?

Particularly with respect to traction and hydraulic power/flow, would I be giving up much with this machine as opposed to a 4500/450. I definitely expect to be using the bucket to it's fullest capacity.

Really appreciate any insight and looking forward to joining the community at some point
Little late to the party but I wouldn't consider that to be a screaming deal. It may be a decent deal if you specifically do not want the larger tractor and need the smaller machine instead. For the things you have listed that you want to use if for, though, I don't think you would be happy with it.

Before you buy it to separate and sell, keep in mind that those attachments, outside of the blade, are specific for the 3000 series. You may end up finding that reselling them may be difficult because of the much smaller market of potential buyers.

As has been mentioned, the 3400 has weaker hydraulics and you are also limited as to what attachments you can use with it. I believe the 3400 maxes out with a 60 inch deck while the 4000 series can run things much larger such as the new 95" WAM. As far as I know, Ventrac also doesn't have a 3 pt hitch for the 3000-series tractors like the 4000-series do. In the end the 4000 series (and, on the Steiner side, the 4xx-series) are simply more robust machines once you get beyond the more simple homeowner tasks.

One final important consideration is that Ventrac is discontinuing the 3000 series line. Something to keep in mind since spare parts and, more importantly, attachments, may be more difficult to find in the future.

If you keep your eye out and browse through some of the online classifieds you should be able to find a used Ventrac/Steiner tractor in your price point.

All the best.

/ Buy 3400L or wait for 4000 series? #9  
Do you have a guess if a Steiner 420 or 450 would've rolled in the same spot?

No they wouldn't have .... The 3000 series is an excellent mower it is not as good with the other attachments. Small wheels and tires higher center of gravity but excellent view of what you are doing.... A PITA to get on and off.... If I didn't have heavy work to do and not steep I would have the diesel one, the gas is kind of lacking power.... My dealer quit selling them..... jim

/ Buy 3400L or wait for 4000 series? #10  
Little late to the party but I wouldn't consider that to be a screaming deal. It may be a decent deal if you specifically do not want the larger tractor and need the smaller machine instead. For the things you have listed that you want to use if for, though, I don't think you would be happy with it.

Before you buy it to separate and sell, keep in mind that those attachments, outside of the blade, are specific for the 3000 series. You may end up finding that reselling them may be difficult because of the much smaller market of potential buyers.

As has been mentioned, the 3400 has weaker hydraulics and you are also limited as to what attachments you can use with it. I believe the 3400 maxes out with a 60 inch deck while the 4000 series can run things much larger such as the new 95" WAM. As far as I know, Ventrac also doesn't have a 3 pt hitch for the 3000-series tractors like the 4000-series do. In the end the 4000 series (and, on the Steiner side, the 4xx-series) are simply more robust machines once you get beyond the more simple homeowner tasks.

One final important consideration is that Ventrac is discontinuing the 3000 series line. Something to keep in mind since spare parts and, more importantly, attachments, may be more difficult to find in the future.

If you keep your eye out and browse through some of the online classifieds you should be able to find a used Ventrac/Steiner tractor in your price point.

All the best.

The 450 Steiner has a separate pump and beats Ventrac in the hydraulics power..... jim