Bush Hog repair question

/ Bush Hog repair question #11  
Willy might weld it for you, but I would not. Even at half the price of a new part, the liability isn't worth the squeeze to me.

/ Bush Hog repair question #12  
Willy might weld it for you, but I would not. Even at half the price of a new part, the liability isn't worth the squeeze to me.
Looks like Willy already welded it a couple of times.

Maybe the previous owner welding bush hog blades also cleans/cleaned his loaded guns in order to save time and money.

/ Bush Hog repair question #13  
That right there is death waiting to happen. I'm not a mechanical engineer but I bet there's 5 tons or more force on that bar. :oops:

/ Bush Hog repair question #14  
I think a pro welder (not me) could weld that just fine.

If it was me, and it was here, I'd take it to a local weld shop called Glen's Welding.

We're talking relatively low rotating rpms here guys. This is not a turbine shaft for a jet engine rotating at 100K+ rpms.

I'd be much more concerned with not having a stump jumper.

/ Bush Hog repair question #15  
I would weld it. Even if it did come off, it will be like a rock getting hit. Also, there should be NO bystanders around when using a bush hog.

If there is that much questionable debris, I would consider a flail mower to keep things contained. Which is a reason why I went with a flail because they are much safer.

/ Bush Hog repair question #16  
I think a pro welder (not me) could weld that just fine.

If it was me, and it was here, I'd take it to a local weld shop called Glen's Welding.

We're talking relatively low rotating rpms here guys. This is not a turbine shaft for a jet engine rotating at 100K+ rpms.

I'd be much more concerned with not having a stump jumper.
Let's do a little math ... The blade is turning a 6 foot circle. Don't know the gear box ratio.. so lets say 1 to 1 then, the blade is turning at 540 rpm.
What's the tip speed ? 6x3.14x540=10,173.6 feet per minute.
How fast is that? 10,173.6 /5280 = 1.93 miles / minute
My car speedo reads miles/hour so...1.93x60=115.8 miles per hour.
I can then say... the approx 25 pounds of half blade holder plus attached blade is moving around 100 mph when it lets loose.

I won't be standing in it's path. Would you ?

/ Bush Hog repair question #17  
I am a welder....but I wouldnt weld that.

I dont care what anyone says....but a weld is never as good as virgin metal. Sure the "weld" may be stronger.....but the heat affected zone of the bar is gonna become a new weak area.

Take it off. If its splined, see if you can match a replacement via other sources. If its a simple keyed hole, or even tapered and keyed....might be easier for a machine shop to replace

/ Bush Hog repair question #18  
Please junk it. You wouldn’t want to throw a blade.
The stresses on that bar are huge at speed.
Ive thrown several blades. Every one was laying in the path I was cutting. Weld it up and keep going. Full pen only.

/ Bush Hog repair question #19  
Let's do a little math ... The blade is turning a 6 foot circle. Don't know the gear box ratio.. so lets say 1 to 1 then, the blade is turning at 540 rpm.
What's the tip speed ? 6x3.14x540=10,173.6 feet per minute.
How fast is that? 10,173.6 /5280 = 1.93 miles / minute
My car speedo reads miles/hour so...1.93x60=115.8 miles per hour.
I can then say... the approx 25 pounds of half blade holder plus attached blade is moving around 100 mph when it lets loose.

I won't be standing in it's path. Would you ?
2:1 is ratio for bush hog. Cheap off brand cutters are 1.5:1

/ Bush Hog repair question #20  
I am a welder....but I wouldnt weld that.
Same here, wouldn't tough it with a ten foot pole.
If the non-welded version broke so will the welded version...only faster. Does it have any particular type of fastening method, spline, notch or some other kind of attachment? If it's just the bolt in the center, why can't you make one from a suitable size piece of flatbar?