Burning coal

/ Burning coal #1  

HEC

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5700 @ B2650HSDC
Anyone else burning coal ? Burned wood for over 30 years and switched to coal 4 years ago and love it . I put in a coal boiler which feeds rice coal much like a pellet stove with a hopper . No more cutting and splitting wood etc. etc . etc. . Takes me about 10 minutes per day in the morning and that's it . The house stays a constant 71 degrees all winter and all the hot water we can use . Last year we used about 3 1/2 ton at a cost of $290 per ton . It keeps my drive in cellar ( where I keep the b2650 all winter ) nice and cozy along with the first and second floor of our cape . The second floor we keep at 55 unless we have company .

/ Burning coal #2  
Been burning coal for quite awhile. I currently have a coal stoker stove.
Go through about 3 ton a year. When I first started using coal it was $90.00 ton. Currently $240.00 ton delivered.

Nothing like working outside all day and the coming home to a constant 72 degree heat. Many a good nap.

/ Burning coal #3  
I have been burning coal for about 15 yrs. HO is to expensive

/ Burning coal #4  
We have used it but don't like the yellow ash/dust that seems to get everywhere, ours is brown coal and could be different to yours, is a soft material unlike the black coal we used to get in the UK.

/ Burning coal #5  
Been using coal for 6 years now, Hitzer hopper fed fireplace insert.
Usually about 3 ton a year, normally knocks 400 to 600 gallons of oil off my usage.
Haven't turned the heat zones on this year yet.
Normally try for 72-74 degrees in the kitchen and living room, at times it will get down to 68 or up to 78.
My cola this year was $256 / ton picked up at my dealer for Lehigh brand.

/ Burning coal #6  
Nothing like working outside all day and the coming home to a constant 72 degree heat. Many a good nap.

Someone told me that it's harder to regulate the heat using coal, any truth to that?
I would suffocate in a 72 deg. house...way too hot for me, though my wife would probably like it.

/ Burning coal #7  
It depends on the stove or system used, some will regulate good, some are a bit difficult to.

/ Burning coal
Someone told me that it's harder to regulate the heat using coal, any truth to that?
I would suffocate in a 72 deg. house...way too hot for me, though my wife would probably like it.

With a boiler it is on a thermostat so my temps stay whatever I set it for . I have 4 zones so each area stays where you set it .

/ Burning coal #9  
I burned coal for a few years, it's too dirty for me, but it sure throws the heat...

I would just go get it myself, as needed,

standard.jpg

SR

Last edited:
   / Burning coal #10  
My stove I regulate the temp off of a thermostat. So it's not difficult at all.
72 in my finished basement gives me about 70 on the 1st floor.