Bumper Pull vs. Gooseneck....Help me choose!

/ Bumper Pull vs. Gooseneck....Help me choose! #21  
In my opinion there is no bigger hassle than hooking a weight distributing hitch up. They do make a load drive like it's not there but man what a pain.

I'm not following your logic on the pintle hook. Ive converted my boat and 18' flatbed trailers to pintle and I tow with an F250. I notice no difference in the trailer moving around than with a 2 and 5/16 ball. (Though I was incorrectly told it would rattle my fillings out). What I have noticed is it's way easier than a GN or a Ball to hook up. Just back up and when you hit the trailer square on, it's ready to go.

/ Bumper Pull vs. Gooseneck....Help me choose! #22  
I bought a pintle hitch twenty five foot trailer planning on converting it to gooseneck. Never happened. I like the pintle hitch just fine. It only has one drawback, the pop or jerk inherent in the slack between the pin and the ring. Not a big thing.

The big advantage of the pintle is ease of hook up. I back up and when I have contact everything is lined up and ready to drop and go.

I haven't had a gooseneck hitch in a truck that I could see ever. I don't see a problem with the gooseneck hook up some have expressed. It just takes a couple of hookups and you pretty well know what to look for when backing in to hook up. Then all is good.

I converted my thirty six foot toy hauler to gooseneck before I ever towed it. Even with it the hook up is simple and we don't lose near the bed space we would with a fifth wheel.

The disadvantage as I see it with towing a big trailer with a three quarter is the trailer has to be loaded right or the tail will wag the dog. I have a C5500 that weighs about fifteen to sixteen thousand pounds most of the time and the twenty five foot equipment pintle hitch trailer knows it place.

/ Bumper Pull vs. Gooseneck....Help me choose! #23  
Gavman said:
I am wondering if I put a WD hitch and airbags on my truck, will it make pulling a BP more similar to pulling with a GN. ( I know it won't be exactly the same, but how close? ;) )

I prefer bumper pull. Why not forgo the WD hitch and buy a hitch made to handle that load without the bars. Some of them are rated to 12500lbs weight carrying. I think your 250 will handle it fine, as long as the trailer brakes are good. I have 06 F250 with V10 and pull 20' 14000lb GVW bobcat trailer loaded to 12000 lb occaisionally. Never had a problem, just get it loaded right.

/ Bumper Pull vs. Gooseneck....Help me choose! #24  
This has been good reading. Good to hear others opinions on the subject. I have a new 20+4 14K BP on order to pull behind my 3500 Chevy Express van. Many have asked why I don't get a truck and then go GN. I just don't want to give up the cargo space secure and dry. Plus my family goes alot too and there is plenty of room for us all. I routinely pull 10K behind it now without any trouble. I don't plan on pulling any more weight but like the idea that my trailer is stout enough to easy handle what I do put on it.

/ Bumper Pull vs. Gooseneck....Help me choose! #25  
wkpoor said:
I have a new 20+4 14K BP on order to pull behind my 3500 Chevy Express .

what is the brand name of this mfg willing to do 20 +4 on a BP. I may just look into this myself and get rid of my 18 ft 12,000gvw trailer

/ Bumper Pull vs. Gooseneck....Help me choose! #26  
what is the brand name of this mfg willing to do 20 +4 on a BP. I may just look into this myself and get rid of my 18 ft 12,000gvw trailer

The one ordered is a BETTER BUILT TRAILERS
BP in that size are common and Moritz or Corn Pro both have them. I went to a local dealer and that was the brand he carried so I'm trusting his opinion this will be a well built trailer. Coming in with LED's/lockable storage box/self cleaning dove/ and stowable third ramp to accommodate my antiques.

/ Bumper Pull vs. Gooseneck....Help me choose! #27  
I think Pequea will do 20+4 bumper pull as well - Neil Messick carries them.

/ Bumper Pull vs. Gooseneck....Help me choose! #28  
LarryRB said:

Class V Hitches
Class V hitches are for extra heavy loads greater than 10,000 lbs. GTW and more than 1,200 lbs. tongue weight. This type of hitch is usually a weight-distributing hitch. This type of hitch may have up to a 2-1/2 inch receiver with a 3/4-inch pinhole.

/ Bumper Pull vs. Gooseneck....Help me choose! #29  
I have both a 14k Kaufman GN and 12k bumper pull, along with several other smaller single axle bumper pull trailers. My opinion is the GN pulls much better then the BP due to the positioning of the hitch over the rear axle, much like a commercial TT unit the weight distribution is much better. The turning radius is much better was well as I can put the trailer 90 degrees to the truck. While I still use the BP trailers I prefer to use my GN.

/ Bumper Pull vs. Gooseneck....Help me choose! #30  
Hope it's not too late to contribute, but here goes....

GN -
Advantages:
- Shares 20% of it's load with truck, vs. something like 5% for a BP. Greatly increases your useful load
- Way bigger trailers available
- Gives you the most use of a F350/450/550's weight capacity
- The space over hitch is a nice way to add cargo/sleeping space, either in a flatdeck, horse hauler, or enclosed cargo trailer
- Drives WAAAYYYY better
- I see no difference in ease of hooking up on my truck. It's a shortbox crewcab so I can't see my GN ball anyway. I'm thinking of putting a back up camera in the box to see it, but that's probably just my technogeek side talking. I actually get within a couple inches on the first try now anyway.
- Box is not completely useless. I have a B&W turnover ball and wouldn't go any other way. Even with the trailer on we still put suitcases, toolboxes, etc, around the hitch post. You just have to make sure they're not in the turning arc so they don't get crushed.

Disadvantages:
- More $$ for initial setup of hitch in truck
- Less compatible if friends want to borrow it
- Tougher if you have any lift on your truck (I have a 6" and that's about the limit)
- Trailer light plugin can be a PITA if you don't get it wired into the wall of the truck's box (I had this done, it's worth it)

BP-
Advantages:
- Easy to set up and share with buddies
- Cheaper
- Truck box 100% free

Disadvantages:
- Poor weight distribution with truck
- No comparison in how they drive
- Can't (or at least tough to) max out and optimize an F350/450/550 in terms of weight capability

That's how I see it. I run a 25' GN flatdeck for my tractor, round bales, and anything else big I need to haul. I have a 24' enclosed v-nose sled trailer, but one day will up this to a 30-35' GN enclosed with some provisional living space. I am planning on getting a dump trailer that will be a BP because I'm going to share it with friends. I can't pull a GN much shorter that 25' because of the 6" lift I have on my F350. Anything shorter and the trailer is too nosehigh and too much weight is placed of the rear axle.

If I had unlimited money, no lift on my truck, and no buddies that like to use my trailers to move, I'd have all GN's!!!!!

Hope that helps.

-Jer.