Bumper Pull vs. Gooseneck....Help me choose!

/ Bumper Pull vs. Gooseneck....Help me choose! #1  

Gavman

Bronze Member
Tractor
Montana 4940
Hello to all.

First of all, I have been pulling since I was old enough to drive, with both bumper pulls, and lately with my gooseneck. I am pulling with an '05 Ford F-250 PSD. I am already setup to pull either style of trailer. I pull, on average, 5500 lbs. to 7000 lbs. of equipment, not including weight of trailer.

I currently have a 20' GN, but I am going to sell it and by a new trailer. I am either going to get a 22' GN with 2 7K axles, or a 22' BP with 2 7K axles. I "want" to get the bumper pull version. The reason being I leave my equipment at my dad's house due to neighborhood association/lack of room at my own, so I have to hook up pretty much daily. This is easier with a bumper pull, plus it is easier to get around the truck/ use the truck bed with a BP. However, I tow on average 40 to 100 miles per trip, so I like the comfort/control a GN offers.

I am wondering if I put a WD hitch and airbags on my truck, will it make pulling a BP more similar to pulling with a GN. ( I know it won't be exactly the same, but how close? ;) )

Also, how will the WD hitch effect connecting/disconnecting to trailer?

If you were making this decision, what would you choose and why?

Please share your experience!

Thanks,
Gavin

/ Bumper Pull vs. Gooseneck....Help me choose! #2  
You know the answer to your questions but I am like you and prefer the bumper pull because I need my bed 90% of the time I pull. Nothing will make it pull like a GN but a WD hitch will be a good addition. I have a 2004 PSD F-250 SRW and a 2006 PSD F-350 SRW. There is no difference. The F-350 is twice the truck. I would look at changing the rear springs and if thats not a option then look at the air bags or trading up to a F-350

Chris

/ Bumper Pull vs. Gooseneck....Help me choose! #3  
I too prefer the bumper pull for easier hitching and doesn't take up space in the truck bed. I have 14K 24' tilt trailer and 14K dump trailer as well as smaller BP trailers. Still have 25K 31" deck over GN. I still like the GN for really heavy loads but use the BP's 95% of the time. I don't use an equalizer hitch but I am sure I exceed the reciever load limit many times. With longer trailer lengths, I rarely ever experience trailer sway unless my tongue weight is too light. Overall, longer trailers pull very nicely.
I pull with 1999 V10 F250. The early F250s had the same springs and rear axle as the F350, minus an additional 2" riser block on the F350. My truck barely squats under heavy loads. Savy buyers noticed this difference and saved money and purchased a F250 instead of 350's. My brothers 2003 F250 will drop 4" with moderate to heavy loads. As expected, his truck rides better when unloaded. Your 05 F250 will probably squat a fair amount with the bumper pull.

/ Bumper Pull vs. Gooseneck....Help me choose!
Thanks for the input...keep it coming.

I assume that the airbags will "basically" convert the rear suspension to the load bearing capacity of a F-350 or 1 ton, which should alleviate the rear end from squatting. Then the WD hitch will distribute the weight better to help with control, I just don't know how much.

/ Bumper Pull vs. Gooseneck....Help me choose! #5  
I probably have far less trailer experience than many here, but since we got the GN horse trailer I am VERY happy with how darn easy it is to hook up. What could be easier than watching the GN line up with the ball in the back of the bed? If you use a turn over ball hitch you lose no bed space/use at all. Plus you will have far fewer friends who will want to borrow the gooseneck.

$.02

paul

/ Bumper Pull vs. Gooseneck....Help me choose! #6  
I'm with Paul, I'm new to the GN scene but not to bumper pulls. The GN is a better ride and handling than the BP. The only way I'd go back to BP was if I bought a dump truck and didn't have the GN hitch as an option. As for hitching up there's no way a BP is easier than a GN. You can actually see the ball on the GN. I think you crazy to go back. Just my opinion.

Matt T.:D

/ Bumper Pull vs. Gooseneck....Help me choose! #7  
Hitching up a GN trailer being easier depends on the truck. I pull with 4 different trucks and my friends all have trucks. It is imposable to see the GN ball on my neighbors 2007 GM 3500 4 door long bed D-max. It is a 2 man operation. As for me I have 3 Diesel trucks and a F-150. My only truck with a GN hitch is my 1999 F-250 PSD. Its a regular cab long bed and is a cinch to hook up because I can see the ball. My other 2 diesels, a 2004 F-250 PSD and a 2006 F-350 PSD which both are 4x4's with extended cabs and short beds would be as tough to hook up as my friends GM. Thats why the do not have GN balls in them. My 2007 F-150 Super Crew 4x4 is just the daily driver for the wife so it rarely pulls anything but a small 7,000# car hauler and a 7,000# boat.

Chris

/ Bumper Pull vs. Gooseneck....Help me choose!
I have hooked up both...so in my opinion..BP's are easier to hook up. What I mean by this is not that they are easier to line up. Most of the time, I can back up to either style of trailer and have it lined up close enough to connect in the first try.
I do however have a tool box in the bed of my truck, which keeps me from seeing the GN ball, but even with that, if you do it enough, you learn to line it up.
A BP will be easier to hook up for me, because I usually keep 2 commercial weedeaters with bicycle style handle bars, an ice chest, and a gas can in the bed of my truck. So when I get to my dads house to hook up I have to get out and put my tailgate down and arrange the cargo so the GN can get to the ball. I will not have to mess with any of that with a BP. Also, I have to climb up in the bed of my truck with a GN, where I won't with a BP. I realize that may seem lazy, but when you hook up/pull everyday, it's the little things that will drive you to the funny farm!:) I just do not want to get a BP, and end up wishing I would've stuck with a GN for stability's sake.

I am willing to sacrifice the benefits a GN offers, if I can get close with a BP with a WD Hitch, and airbags.

Anybody pulled a similar GN and a BP with WD Hitch & airbags. What was the performance difference?

/ Bumper Pull vs. Gooseneck....Help me choose! #9  
Gavman said:
I have hooked up both...so in my opinion..BP's are easier to hook up. What I mean by this is not that they are easier to line up. Most of the time, I can back up to either style of trailer and have it lined up close enough to connect in the first try.
I do however have a tool box in the bed of my truck, which keeps me from seeing the GN ball, but even with that, if you do it enough, you learn to line it up.
A BP will be easier to hook up for me, because I usually keep 2 commercial weedeaters with bicycle style handle bars, an ice chest, and a gas can in the bed of my truck. So when I get to my dads house to hook up I have to get out and put my tailgate down and arrange the cargo so the GN can get to the ball. I will not have to mess with any of that with a BP. Also, I have to climb up in the bed of my truck with a GN, where I won't with a BP. I realize that may seem lazy, but when you hook up/pull everyday, it's the little things that will drive you to the funny farm!:) I just do not want to get a BP, and end up wishing I would've stuck with a GN for stability's sake.

I am willing to sacrifice the benefits a GN offers, if I can get close with a BP with a WD Hitch, and airbags.

Anybody pulled a similar GN and a BP with WD Hitch & airbags. What was the performance difference?

I set my cargo trailer up as a fifth wheel. That offers easy hook up and it is quite easy to remove the hitch. I have an extended cab with cross box so I can't see a goose ball. I have a 14k Cornpro with a Putnam ?? fifth wheel post in place of the goose post. I can change back to goose in about 10 minutes by just changing the post.

/ Bumper Pull vs. Gooseneck....Help me choose! #10  
If a bumper pull suits your needs and you want it then buy it and be happy.

I personally prefer gooseneck trailers. However, I currently do not own one right now. I have two bumper pulls (a 16' 5 ton equipment hauler and a 10' 5 ton dump trailer) and they are handy for what we use them for (mostly on construction sites). They allow us to haul what we need to and still have full access to the bed of the truck. However, my farm needs have dictated the future purchase of at least a 30' gooseneck. So a third trailer will be added as soon as I am healthy enough to work full time again.