Building Inspector vs. Pole Barn

/ Building Inspector vs. Pole Barn #11  
Its all about money in the northeast. Here in PA, they actually inspect the sheet rock screw distance between them..
Tell me what that has to do with structural integrity? Particularly after jumping through all the hoops just to get a wall up?
We are serious about building a new home, but after seeing the amount of BS here in PA and how they just want to fill the coffers, I am seriously ready to take my tax base to another state, and my money!

/ Building Inspector vs. Pole Barn #12  
If you are building your roof with purlins to support your roofing my inspector referred me to this document for all the bracing that wouls be required for bracing the roof trusses. http://support.sbcindustry.com/images/publication_images/b10.pdf It was a lot of work but I am sure it will not fall over in most wind storms. Good luck.

/ Building Inspector vs. Pole Barn #13  
Heheheeee, after seeing what looked to be a strong built pole barn collapsed in on itself last week, I see the need for inspections. The thing was only about 4 years old, out in open with no tree problems, not much wind lately, and just our central Georgia ice storm. Reckon the ice did'er in, but the thing should've withstood that. Could've hurt somebody or messed up equipment bad.

/ Building Inspector vs. Pole Barn #14  
I need to update a post( #7) I previously made. Since I last got my building permit for my house in '82 the county now requires a building permit for any structure over 250 sq ft. More funds into the gov coffers, more gov involved in private matters.

/ Building Inspector vs. Pole Barn #15  
Its over 5 k for a residential permit here, another 400.00 to get a septic permit, then you have to pay an outside party for a septic plan, then pay to have it installed to the plan and inspected.
Another 25 for a driveway permit, and a whole list of other permits needed to drill wells and so on.

When its over your taxes could be as high as 5k a year to live 45 minutes from wal-mart, on roads you'll plan your route around due to the amount of holes in them.
And if you don't pay your property taxes, they'll seize your home here in PA... average income is less than 40k a year for the area.

/ Building Inspector vs. Pole Barn #16  
Permit required for any structure over 200sqft here as well. Some other counties do not require permits for pole barns. Our county publishes the permits issued, structure cost and permit cost. They rake in about $250,000 per WEEK in permit fees.... at ~$13 million per year building permits are definitely a big business.

/ Building Inspector vs. Pole Barn #17  
Building officials must justify their existance therefore the take a quick look at the plans ask a bunch of questions that are answered on the plans. Then they follow up the one two punch by keeping their engineer friends in business.
PS Your engineer will probably ask for a larger footing (cookie) code generally requires 2'*2' or 28" round.

wow.... no permit needed here for pole buildings with no plumbing or electrical...

/ Building Inspector vs. Pole Barn #18  
I have built numerous pole buildings etc. before we were required to get permits....it has all changed now....When I built my house ...I was the GC...I had a great building inspector and used his recommendation to hold the subs feet to the fire...they can work to your advantage....think about it...

/ Building Inspector vs. Pole Barn #19  
In Wisconsin I needed a building permit from the town. It went up at the same time as the house so the inspector (an outside engineer contracted by the town because they can't justify their own) knew about it but said it was not part of the Uniform dwelling building code because it was detached and not intended for living. I think he was dying to get in there though. He really took pride in pointing out mistakes and I'm sure in any of these structures he would find several. In general I learned to like him a lot. He was up on the code and a bit fussy but took the time to answer any questions (and many times simply nodded when I said a particular code requirement was silly). So around here the town permit ($10) is simply a reminder for the tax assessor.

/ Building Inspector vs. Pole Barn #20  
No building permits required here. Only permit required is if you replace your septic, I guess they want to make sure it runs down hill and you are at the bottom.:)

Permits are required in just about all the townships around us so I would think it will be only a matter of time.