Building a Pulverizer

/ Building a Pulverizer #1  

Tractors4u

Elite Member
Tractor
Deere 4310, Kubota L355, John Deere SST18 Spin Steer, 2006 Polaris Ranger
I started this project about 3 years ago and it got sidelined until a couple of weeks ago. It is a pulverizer like many landscapers use. I priced one once and they were going for around $1000. My goal has been to spend the least amount of money possible building this one. I managed to lay my hands on a couple of I beams for the frame. A Yanmar tiller bracket is now the toplink bracket. The roller is made from a piece of 4.5 inch diameter, about 3/8th inch thick pipe. The end caps of the pipe with the bearings are from the gauge wheels of a Hinomoto tiller. The spikes on the roller are scrap pieces of re-bar. So far I have bought 2 springs and some paint to paint it with. I have enough 1/2" bolts for all of the scarifers but I will have to buy some lock washers. I may end up buying all new fasteners before it is done. The weakest link I think is the spindles on the end of the pipe. If they fail I will go with plan B and buy some bearing blocks and redo the roller. The spikes on the roller are longer than the spikes on a store bought and with 2 I beams it is much heavier. I should have the rest of the spikes welded on and the whole rig painted by this weekend. I can now understand why they cost so much. Mine has 25 scarifers, which means 25 pieces cut and 25 holes drilled. It takes 2 pieces of angle iron to hold the scarifers. 50 pieces cut and drilled and then welded on. 6 rows of spikes on the roller. 17 spikes per row. 17 X 6 cut and welded.

/ Building a Pulverizer #2  
I get a "404 not found" on the attachment...

/ Building a Pulverizer #3  
me too.

/ Building a Pulverizer #4  
Ditto...

/ Building a Pulverizer
Last night it said the file was too large so I decided not to post the message but obviously I did not back out correctly. I have new and smaller file size pictures so here we go again.

Attachments

• 235468-DSCN0942.JPG
    235468-DSCN0942.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 3,406
   / Building a Pulverizer
Another view

Attachments

• 235469-DSCN0943.JPG
    235469-DSCN0943.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 2,510
   / Building a Pulverizer
A shot of the hitch

Attachments

• 235471-DSCN0944.JPG
    235471-DSCN0944.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 2,184
   / Building a Pulverizer #9  
Brent, VERY nice. what are you welding and cutting with ? That's a nice looking weld where the top link superstructure meets the beam. Any special considerations like grinding a slant on the top piece etc to strengthen the union ? Or, if a MIG, to increase the penetration to obviate the "hot glue gun " effect ?
Those two beams look good for weight and as a frame. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Building a Pulverizer
I know this is going to open up a welder debate, but here goes. I am using a Lincoln Weldpak 100, 110v, flux core wire welder. I have used this welder with great success for the last 4 years and I have used it on some pretty heavy duty applications. One of these days I hope to have a full blown MiG set up. I didn't do any grinding to any of the joints. What I do is a small swirl pattern on the welds where the material to be welded is thick or will be under a load.