Building a "Log Horse?"

/ Building a "Log Horse?" #1  

Garandman

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L3200 HST
I have a number of logs in lengths from 6' to 15' and diameter of 8" to 16" that I need to buck into firewood length for splitting. Right now I pick them up with pallet forks, mark the cuts, then cut off one end then the other until I have 4-6' left. Then I have to lower it onto cut pieces to finish the cuts.

Anyone make a "Log Horse" that I could lower the log into and cut it there? I'm wondering how big and heavy I need to make it.

/ Building a "Log Horse?" #2  
I made one out of 2x4's a few years back. It was just four 3' boards forming an X at both ends and two more connecting them together. It would work for your 4-6' pieces, but was not strong enough for the big logs.

/ Building a "Log Horse?" #3  
I made the same thing as Mendonsy, only I used 6" X 6" timbers to create the X. I did this because I found that raising the log kept the chain saw out of the dirt and reduced the number of time per day I had to resharpen. On really big stuff - 18" up to 34" - I would roll the log up on smaller cross-layed logs with the tractor. While it was always fun to fall and cut up the "really big stuff" - the problems presented in working them into useable firewood were a real pain in the butt.

/ Building a "Log Horse?" #4  
AKA "saw buck" -- I made one from scrap 2x4 lumber when we were building our house. I don't have any pictures, but basically, make two identical assemblies like this:

u2.jpg

Then cross these two assemblies into an X and nail or bolt about halfway up. After that, I nailed some additional bracing across the bottoms to keep the X open, but left the tops open to allow access. Also added some horizontal bracing just below the crossed part. Basically, stiffen as needed for your anticipated use. Mine is beefy enough that I can dump 4' logs in from my front bucket. Sometimes I will dump in 2-3 at a time if they are skinny (more care required when cutting).

Standard lumber OK for verticals, but I used pressure treated for bottom. The spacing of the verticals should be set to whatever makes sense for your typical log length, knowing you will cut on the side of the verticals -- or space then wider if you have a short bar on your chainsaw and need to get in closer. You may want to add more verticals that would support your cut rounds, depending on how you like to cut.

Offhand, I think my vertical pieces were 4-5' long to give the desired height when crossed, so that I don't have to stoop over when cutting. I'd estimate that the crossed point is about 30" high. I made the sawbuck about 4' wide and spaced for 16" cuts.

I do remember seeing some plans on the internet, but they were somewhat limited to that person's vision/workflow (for instance, what works for a short person would give me a backache). So start with the basic idea in my sketch and dimension it accordingly.

Attachments

• u1.jpg
    u1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 120
   / Building a "Log Horse?" #5  
I had to go out to the woodpile, so here are a couple pics.

View attachment 406258 View attachment 406259

Upon closer examination, it looks very much like what any framer would do with scrap 2x4 lumber and a nail gun, so definitely adapt to your materials/tools.

/ Building a "Log Horse?" #7  
I have a number of logs in lengths from 6' to 15' and diameter of 8" to 16" that I need to buck into firewood length for splitting. Right now I pick them up with pallet forks, mark the cuts, then cut off one end then the other until I have 4-6' left. Then I have to lower it onto cut pieces to finish the cuts.

Anyone make a "Log Horse" that I could lower the log into and cut it there? I'm wondering how big and heavy I need to make it.

Funny you should ask! I use a classic sawbuck, like Mendonsy described, that I built from old growth doug-fir 2x4s about 20 years ago, but lately the cut from one end, cut from the other end dance has started to get old. I was thinking about adapting this idea to my 3pt forks:
Log Caddy.jpg
Using some 2x2 1/4" wall tube, some 6" channel and some 1/4" plate I think I could knock something like this together in an afternoon:
Log Caddy 2 01102015.jpg

Last edited:
   / Building a "Log Horse?" #8  
I use this when I want to cut all day.

Attachments

• 2003 4.3L 011.JPG
    2003 4.3L 011.JPG
    959.1 KB · Views: 626
   / Building a "Log Horse?" #10  
I use this when I want to cut all day.

This is the nicest I've ever seen!!!! Very well thought out and something that should last forever.

I just cut about three quarter of the way through the log all the way down the length of the log, then roll it over and cut through from the other side to get my rounds. Unlike most people, I like my rounds to be about a foot long. I also like to split them pretty small. I've found that I can get the fire going faster and warm the house quicker with smaller pieces of wood. Once my wood stove is warmed up, it doesn't take very much wood to keep the house warm.

Eddie