Bucket mounted limb cutter.

/ Bucket mounted limb cutter. #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
I mounted a bumper receiver on the top of the FEL bucket to put a trailer hitch. I can drive up and pick up the hitch on my trailers and move them around without getting off the tractor. For the past month I have used this to move around a 42' lift we were using to paint my daughter's house.... That is a story in itself! Anyway it is time to mow the CRP land and I am needing something to cut limbs that have overgrown the fields on about 150 acres on four different farms. While I have used a pole saw to do this that was ten years ago and I am now 63 with a new knee.

Getting to the point. I want to mount some kind of blade in the receiver on top of the bucket so I can rest the blade on a limb, lower the loader to put weight on the blade, and back up to slice the limb off. I don't intend to use this on a foot diameter limb, but something an inch or two in diameter. What I'm planning now is to weld a sharpened old bush hog blade to a receiver and try that.

I am not going to spend more than thirty dollars on this project!!

Has anybody done this before? Did you have any luck?

The tractor I will use is small, Kioti CK20. Anybody think I am wasting my time?

Any answers will be appreciated.

RSKY

/ Bucket mounted limb cutter.
AND, I am not mowing 150 acres with a CK20. The large fields were mowed with a 1086 and 15 footer. CRP land will be mowed and disked with a 4600 Ford. All I want this for is going around the edges of the fields.

Didn't want anybody to panic.

RSKY

/ Bucket mounted limb cutter. #3  
Are you planning on using a blade with teeth to saw the limb off as you back the tractor?

/ Bucket mounted limb cutter. #4  
$30.00, might as well forget that.

/ Bucket mounted limb cutter.
My forks cost me less than $100. I intend to use an old worn out bushhog blade welded to a receiver. Sharpen the blade and maybe put a couple notches in it with a side grinder and hopefully I am in the limb cutting business. All I want is something to remove limbs from trees at the edge of fields. I usually use the edge of the bucket for the smaller ones and this attachment will enable be to cut a little bigger.

Anybody ever try this?

RSKY

/ Bucket mounted limb cutter. #6  
...but something an inch or two in diameter...
Just bump into it with the bucket should break those limbs off. Not sure the mower blade would make a cleaner cut and the top of the FEL is pretty weak... thus you might bend the top of the bucket.

Last edited:
   / Bucket mounted limb cutter. #7  
Mount the sharpened bush hog blade with a hydraulic cylinder and use another one as a stop, basically making a shear. Put all of that on a 2x2 square to slip into the receiver and hook into your hydraulics to power the cylinder. Should be easy enough if you have any "stuff" laying around and have decent fab skills.
David from jax

/ Bucket mounted limb cutter. #8  
Hungry Woodpeckers?

Yeah, shear/break them off. Save yourself headaches of what to do with a stuck, running saw, up in your loader bucket.

/ Bucket mounted limb cutter. #9  
They make a chain saw that attaches to bucket can't recall name but it way more than 30 dollars also need hydraulics to operate use a pole saw and then use tractor to clean it up IMHO

/ Bucket mounted limb cutter. #10  
To answer your question I have never tried what you intend to try.

Maybe you could engineer a pair of limb loppers so you can tilt the bucket to make them open and close. ;)

My makeshift answer for limb trimming is to tie wrap a cordless reciprocal saw to a long piece of aluminum T-bar. I put a tie wrap on the trigger to hold it on and hoist it up by hand to cut limbs.