Brush hog accident(s)

/ Brush hog accident(s) #61  
I've run over a lot of hidden stuff with a brush hog. Just this year I ran over a HD 4ft T post securely in the ground in 5-6ft weeds.
Made one heck of a racket. Luckily I was riding with one hand on the draft lever and damage to the machine was minimal.
The reason I'm bringin this up is a news story I just read here > California homeless woman killed in gruesome lawnmower mishap, family demands answers
I always wonder about what is in those weeds, brush, bushes and trees. I always have someone’s property to mow and it usually is a new property to me. Yes the T post, short stumps, rocks, cement chunks, rebar, tires, rims, cable, barbwire, beehives. Wasp nest, snakes and manhole covers. You name it it is out in that field that has nothing in it according to people that own it but have never cut it. This subject gives a me a wow factor. Humans are not that sound of sleepers. She had to be there for some time before. 1. There would have been a trail. 2. The grass around where she slep would be pressed and the operator would have seen this and become very cautious. I know I do. 3. The operator has the responsibility of operating the tractor. 4. Impossible to know the conditions of this person before the accident 5. As said the family is using this as a paycheck 6. No reasonable responsible person would sleep there 7. Today they will find the operator and company liable for something. It happened in California.

/ Brush hog accident(s) #62  
I agree, there's a lot of untold facts about that accident. The woman/lady had been sleeping during the day and that going on for 3 or 4 years?
I can see someone mowing, especially in high grass, not seeing someone lying asleep in the grass, and then running over her. That happens a lot with animals, even as large as deer.
As far as I can see, there's no basis for liability on the operator's side.
I am quite sure there is a lawyer who will disagree with you on the liability issue…..

/ Brush hog accident(s) #63  
on the same subject, i fear those homeowners who incessantly mow their highway frontage feet from the traffic slipstream @ 55...i don't fear for my own safety, but theirs when i pass them
I feel the same way, especially when you pass them in a motorhome.

I live on a dirt road which used to have about five cars max each day (including mine). That recently has changed and the way some of these kids drive down it makes me want to dump out a bucket of golf balls next to the road and mow them over.

/ Brush hog accident(s) #64  
Good Morning Guys,
Scootr, I never ran over any animals with my bush hog, but almost ran over a fawn sleeping in the high grass and weeds ! Fortunately, he took off just before I got to that spot !

But what I did do might be worth mentioning! I was weed wacking around the perimeter of the barn with the tail gate of my brand new F-150 in the down position. As I was doing this I heard a pheww, or something like that, and I managed to shatter the rear cab window !:oops:
So now I try to stay a little farther away from any parked vehicles when running that thing. I always wear safety glasses but that doesnt help the vehicles !:)

/ Brush hog accident(s) #65  
I've run over a lot of hidden stuff with a brush hog. Just this year I ran over a HD 4ft T post securely in the ground in 5-6ft weeds.
Made one heck of a racket. Luckily I was riding with one hand on the draft lever and damage to the machine was minimal.
The reason I'm bringin this up is a news story I just read here > California homeless woman killed in gruesome lawnmower mishap, family demands answers
Reading some of the replies brings up something that really jerks my chain Assholes mowing and blowing it on the streets, right toward traffic .All states need to make it illegal. I remember a woman getting a eye knocked out while sitting at a traffic light.

/ Brush hog accident(s) #66  
Mowing, I thought it was a limb... 2 snakes apparently engaged in love making and ignored the 51" lawnmower!

/ Brush hog accident(s) #67  
I brush-hogged a lot of stuff and it always amazed me from year to year how a field I had CLEARED and cut previously could somehow end up with something else to tear up the deck (my brush hog looks like it was used for clearing land mines) or generate a deadly missile. I switched to a flail mower. Best choice I ever made for safety from rocks and other objects. BUT - wouldn't have helped one little bit to protect a person lying hidden in the weeds if they were too messed up and out of it to NOT to hear the tractor and mower and hightail it outta the way.

/ Brush hog accident(s) #68  
About the woman's family, sometimes you do what you can for someone who has made poor choices and that "help" can actually prevent them from getting the real help they need. I have seen where family members had to resort to tough love and say "no more, don't come around my home or my kids until you figure it out". Between stealing to support their habit, coming home plastered at all hours (with children in the home), cursing out those who are trying to help... it is often the only choice that can be made. The addict has to make the choice to turn their life around. Some people can't make that life saving decision until they hit absolute rock bottom. Sounds like she was there, she just hadn't made that next step. Sad story for all involved.
True. Change has to come from within, it can't be imposed from without. And sometimes even hitting rock bottom isn't enough of a wake up call for some people.

/ Brush hog accident(s) #69  
Massey, it sounds like your brush hog needs safety chains to stop the rocks.
I took one in the chest one time from the guy across the street mowing with a brush hog without chains, it hit me like a golf ball.
I had a huge welt and hurt like the dickens for a while.
I had safety chains front and rear. The wear and tear of rocks and logs broke the guard. It came off and went under the brush hog, breaking a blade. I now run without the guard. Makes me a bit nervous, but my seat is well above the ground, and the mower is close to the rear wheels, so the trajectory is unlikely to get as high as the seat (I hope!)

/ Brush hog accident(s) #70  
Well, my worst "run over" with my old Hyco brusher was a 4'×6' piece of chain link fencing. GIANT bang and grind noise and the little B7200 INSTANTLY stopped and died...WHAT A.MESS!
It took me a couple of hours to get it all untangled. Had to jack up the mower to get under there to work.
But.....still pretty happy it wasn't flesh and blood.
Hyco didn't care either. Still out there beatin' the snot outta the weeds.
I love that old thing.