Brush hog accident(s)

/ Brush hog accident(s) #1  

scootr

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200 HST, 773 Bobcat, Cat forklift
   / Brush hog accident(s) #2  
On the farm I grew up on there was a stream valley were we had a plum orchard. It didn't happen in other areas of the farm but for some reason I would almost always manage to hit a cottontail in this area.
We had a dog and he never paid attention when I was mowing elsewhere. When I got close to the plums he would start following and was usually rewarded with fresh tenderized bunny meat.
I've hit my share of forgotten T posts and other items.
Rocks, oh the number of rocks. The rear axel had many a stone chip.
Closest it got to me was the back of the seat. A rock fragment came flying out the front of the machine. Fortunately the suspension seat had a high back and it left a good size dent about dead center. Would have hit me in the spine just below the base of the lungs.
It's remarkable how much stuff a mower can pickup and shoot out at high velocity even when you are being careful.

/ Brush hog accident(s) #3  
Massey, it sounds like your brush hog needs safety chains to stop the rocks.
I took one in the chest one time from the guy across the street mowing with a brush hog without chains, it hit me like a golf ball.
I had a huge welt and hurt like the dickens for a while.

/ Brush hog accident(s) #6  
My buddy broke a big glass window out of his house from 50 yards away
I know a golf ball will clear a 150' of lake when it leaves my MMM at full speed. Have broken my share of things with rocks. Hard to avoid them, since we have interesting geology around here and people are always dragging rocks into park, only to throw them in the grass some place.

/ Brush hog accident(s) #7  
I've run over a lot of hidden stuff with a brush hog. Just this year I ran over a HD 4ft T post securely in the ground in 5-6ft weeds.
Made one heck of a racket. Luckily I was riding with one hand on the draft lever and damage to the machine was minimal.
The reason I'm bringin this up is a news story I just read here > California homeless woman killed in gruesome lawnmower mishap, family demands answers
If her sister was so distraught and upset, why in the hell was the woman homeless. How come the sister didn’t give her a place to stay. yeah right, family demands answers, the family was not there for the homeless woman. The family is wanting a paycheck and that’s all.

/ Brush hog accident(s) #8  
I have two dents in my pickup where somebody's lawn mower picked up a rock and threw it... from about 75 yards away.

1689627800724.jpeg
They are nothing major, but he's lucky that there wasn't a pedestrian walking past.

/ Brush hog accident(s) #9  
Boy, what a way to go out. That guy on the tractor had to be a wreck. Can't imagine picking up pieces of my kid. :cry:

/ Brush hog accident(s)
Another thing about this. So person is sleeping in the weeds and brush comes by maybe 2-3 ft away on the pass before it eats you alive! How in the hell do you not wake up, jump up, and get the hell outta there?
This person had to be in an unconscious drunken stupor, in a drug comma, or already dead. INMHO