Brush Cutter

/ Brush Cutter #1  

Midwest Gurl48

Tractor
1030 Massey Ferguson
Morning. Im trying to figure out what I need for a brush cutter for my 1030 2wd Massey Ferguson tractor. New to the game. Any advice is surely appreciated.

/ Brush Cutter #2  
You might start with a description of what you are looking to cut. Pics perhaps of what you are up against.

/ Brush Cutter #3  
Since your mule is a well built TOYOSHA made 12 forward/3 reverse gear in 3 speed ranges (Low/Medium/High) tractorwith only 23 horsepower(claimed) at the power take off the only mower that will give you adequate brush clearing and mowing is a 60 inch cut flail mower.

A gear drive tractor will provide you with plenty of PTO horsepower and torque to provide the needed horsepower and torque for a 60" flail shredder/mower as the forward speed can be easily controlled and the naturally aspirated engine will not have power robbed from it like a hydrostatic transmission engine combination would rob useable power.

I have described in great detail what someone needs to examine when investing in a flail brush mower here on the forum.

A flail mower/flail shredder will provide the end user with a better finish when clearing brush or simply mowing good sod ground and leave no residue if the finish type flail mower is invested in.

A rotary cutter only provides a very small cutting edge length in total when cutting brush or mowing and cannot recut the material unless it is brittle.

A flail mower/shredder will provide the end user with up to 20 feet in cutting edge length to slice and recut the brush of any density versus a 5 foot rotary cutter or finish mower.

If you invest the time in reading my posts about buying a flail mower and how to buy the right one you will have a flail mower attachment that will work well with your forever tractor and provide you with many decades of service.

Please send me any questions you may have at your convenience via a private message and I can and will tell you which flail mower brands to avoid like the plague.

Leon

Last edited:
   / Brush Cutter #4  
With 20-odd pto hp, a 5ft rotary cutter is fine, although there will be tomes you’ll need to go slowly depending on what you’re trying to cut.

I do agree that if youre willing to spend the money a flail mower will give much nicer results. However, it is a more complicated machine with more possible maintenance/repair issues. The simple bush hog / rotary cutter is pretty much optimized for ‘mistakes’ in the sense that its the most likely to survive mishaps or poor judgment. Im not trying to dissuade you from a flail mower with that, but if you are just trying to keep something walkable or from getting overgrown and dont actually care how ‘nice’ it ends up, its hard to argue with the price/simplicity/availability of a simple rotary cutter.

/ Brush Cutter #5  
The proper mower for you depends on your budget and the expected results. A five foot rotary mower will cut most stuff but the results won't look like a finish mower. It will look like a mowed field. I've been using mine for over fifteen years behind a two wheel drive tractor with your horsepower and it's still hanging in. A flail mower will give nicer results as will a finish mower but at a greater cost.

/ Brush Cutter #6  
It totally depends on what you are trying to cut, and the results you want. If you are cutting thick tall stuff a flail will be a big load for your tractor and won't leave a good cut. A rotary would do much better. But if you are cutting it often a flail will do a nicer job. But is it worth the cost for your application?

/ Brush Cutter #7  
I dont think you have the tractor for it; but a Brown Tree cutter is a real step above any of the bushhogs you see running around. I dont know if they made a 4 ft version, and that might plain be too much weight for your machine, but they will shred some pretty impressive stuff.

I am not a fan of flail mower for anything brushy at all; but I know others love them. I have the all purpose hammers/teeth, and they aren't great on grass or brush, just kinda adequate for both, but not great on either.

/ Brush Cutter #8  
A finish flail mower or a flail crop shredder with side slicers
or hammer scoop knives will work very well as long as the
hammers or the knives are sharped properly.

/ Brush Cutter #9  
A finish flail mower or a flail crop shredder with side slicers
or hammer scoop knives will work very well as long as the
hammers or the knives are sharped properly.
Only if you mow often. If you let the weeds get tall and stiff, it does a lousy job. It totally depends on what you are trying to cut and what you expect the results to be.

/ Brush Cutter #10  
Need to define brush. I’ve got mean, tough brush and hilly ground.

Tried different tractors and attachments over the decades. Hard to beat a good rotary cutter for cost, performance, and durability.
IMG_2790.JPG

Fresh paint on our 25year old Brown tree cutter.