Broken welds

/ Broken welds #51  
I took a tech school welding glass a few years ago and the welding instructor was a no nonsense lifelong pro that went through great pains to tear stuff apart to show that good welds won't come apart.

Skyscrapers are welded these days.
Is that why the WTC fell down?

/ Broken welds #52  
Is that why the WTC fell down?
Beats me but those were built in the '60's. They were probably bolted or riveted back then.

/ Broken welds #53  
What bothers me about welded together steel in modern buildings is, those welds for the most part are not magna fluxed or checked carefully, whereas all welds in any nuclear facility are but then nuclear welds in a nuclear facility are mostly in exoctic alloy's not hot rolled steel.

I could tell you stories about nuclear welding but I really cannot simply because most of it is classified. Suffice to say that one of my very good friends is the guy who certifies nuclear welders and he is my teacher and certifies me as well and o I don't have any desire to work at the trade. Having said that, I do work for myself and some of my customers require an AWS cert for me to bid on their jobs.

SMAW welding, even with experienced welders can be very inconsistent anyway.

/ Broken welds #54  
Using my Mahindra 1626 shuttle to move a dirt pile I noticed unusual left front tire movement. I was in 4wd and tires were turned slightly to the right. Before I could disengage and get stopped, the axle had broken loose the bracket at the weld and forced the tire towards the rear of the machine which in turn broke the right side loose folding the entire front axel back up under the chassi which crushed and put a hole in the oil pan.
Anyone else ever heard of this or had issue with welds or inferior steel in Mahindra?
I don't trust anything welded with wire feed or any of these low voltage welders, a good stick weld will not break, the metal around it with rip tear or break before the weld, in welding class your weld had to go through every possible test and it had not better break. I don't see the good penetration with these new welders.
I have seen a lot of cars along the road with spindle failure I am sure it is due to crappy modern welding.
I don't ever remember seeing welding failures before and I have been around a while.

/ Broken welds #55  
IF YOU EVER GET TO GO TO INDIA WHERE MAHINDRAS ARE MADE READY FOR ASSEMBLY IN TEXAS, YOU WOULD SEE WHY THE WELDS BREAK APART...
Screenshot_20240131_192608_DuckDuckGo.jpg

What could possibly go wrong? 😆

/ Broken welds #56  
I'm sure you are just trying to be funny, and I guess that is fine, but if you read this thread, you would understand that the broken welds were on a Mitsubishi Mahindra made in Japan. I've been to Mahindra factories in India and in Japan. You would be impressed.

I think racist remarks are best kept off this forum.

/ Broken welds #57  
Im not a wizard in this area but I have a Kioti CX2510 and the manual states; when stepping it into 4WD make sure the wheeles are straight and never turn in this mode. Does your manual instruct you to do the same for your model as it does for mine ?
Okay, I'm not sure exactly what you mean. When I first read your comment it sounded like you are not supposed to turn your front wheels when in four wheel drive which obviously does not make sense. Of course I happen to have a Kubota and live on a side hill so run it in 4WD about 99% of the time. You are talking about interlocking the rear wheels are you?

/ Broken welds #58  
Dang, I wish the hydraulics on my Kubota 3301 were strong enough to do that. Even with no rear ballast like in this pic mine would never raise the rear wheels off the ground. I guess in a way that's a good thing because you stand a much better chance of not bending or breaking something.
The hydraulics are the only disappointment I have with this tractor. When I bought it I told that salesman I wanted something I could at the very least pick up 1000lbs. This thing has a hard time lifting 500lbs off the ground, never mind doing with it once off the ground.
I am surprised your tractor has a hard time lifting 500 lbs. off the ground. According to TractorData.com Kubota L3301 tractor attachments information it should be well over a 1000 lbs. I have a Kubota L3010 (abt 2002 vintage) that picks up over a 1000 lbs. with no problem. In fact I have lifted many things that heavy with it, just have to be careful because accidents can happen way too fast.

/ Broken welds #59  
I'm sure you are just trying to be funny, and I guess that is fine, but if you read this thread, you would understand that the broken welds were on a Mitsubishi Mahindra made in Japan. I've been to Mahindra factories in India and in Japan. You would be impressed.

I think racist remarks are best kept off this forum.
Its Ok to report them to moderators.

/ Broken welds #60  
I don't trust anything welded with wire feed or any of these low voltage welders, a good stick weld will not break, the metal around it with rip tear or break before the weld, in welding class your weld had to go through every possible test and it had not better break. I don't see the good penetration with these new welders.
I have seen a lot of cars along the road with spindle failure I am sure it is due to crappy modern welding.
I don't ever remember seeing welding failures before and I have been around a while.
Not exactly correct friend. I use MIG (solid wire with shielding gas) to repair cracks in heavy duty buckets from excavators and front loaders all the time (so long as they fit in the shop that is). If I'm working on them outside, I use low hydrogen stick.

If it's a heavy fabrication and I can do it in the shop, I'll use 'spray arc globular transfer' which entails high amperage (above 220 amps) and obviously with a 220-1 powered welder. not some toy store 110 volt welder, that is basically useless.

Though I prefer TIG, that is too slow and has to be done in the shop, only because of the shielding gas issue.

No toy welders in the shop, ever.