Broken Lower 3 Point Hitch Arm

/ Broken Lower 3 Point Hitch Arm #1  

Langanobob

Gold Member
Tractor
AC HD6G, Ancient Kubota HK5 Mini Excavator, MF GC1720
I was working on road drainage with a box scraper on my GC1720 , going slowly on a mild downgrade when Snap! The corner of the scraper caught on an immovable rock and one of the lower 3 point lift arms broke right off. It appears to be cast steel, as opposed to cast iron or fabricated from carbon steel bar stock. I welded it today with 7018 and applied my version of post weld heat treating. I haven't tried it out yet but I don't have 100% confidence in it.

I can fabricate a new arm using some bar stock and purchasing the ball eyes to be welded on. The bar stock would require bending and I can do that, just not sure if I need another distracting project and I might be better off just paying for a new arm.

I saw a YouTube video where a guy broke his lower 3 point arm on his GC1723 and he purchased a replacement arm that turned out to be an upgraded version made from steel bar stock, not cast material. Does anyone know if the same upgraded carbon steel arms are available for the GC1720? I haven't had much luck asking questions at my local dealer, that's why I'm asking here. Given the correct length, or close to it, I think these 3 point arms are about generic, one size fits all tractors of the same hitch capacity.

Thank you,
Bob

Attachments

• IMG_2653(1).jpg
    IMG_2653(1).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2649.jpg
    IMG_2649.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 93
   / Broken Lower 3 Point Hitch Arm #2  
Wow, that sucks. Unfortunately. I don't have a answer for you. Good luck with finding a good replacement.

/ Broken Lower 3 Point Hitch Arm #3  
I would make new ones... Make both sides while you at it.

/ Broken Lower 3 Point Hitch Arm
I would make new ones... Make both sides while you at it.
That is my plan if I don’t find satisfactory replacements. I woke up in the night thinking about ways to make the bends.

/ Broken Lower 3 Point Hitch Arm #5  
you said you welded it. I'm assuming you did a butt weld. Can you sleeve it with another piece of metal and weld it on? I think with a sleeve on it that will be the last place it will break again.

/ Broken Lower 3 Point Hitch Arm #6  
I saw a set at TSC a couple years back and maybe its worth it to buy a whole set instead of trying to find one matching replacement arm? Also...the new set just has to be close in dimensions? Just something to consider.

/ Broken Lower 3 Point Hitch Arm #7  
We're you going backwart/pushing? Very odd looking break if from tension/pulling.

I agree it’s an unusual looking break. I was pulling. Looking closer at the part, I see bending brake marks where the angles were bent. So, it’s not a cast steel part like I originally thought. Now I believe the break was caused by improper cooling after the end ball was welded in.

My guess is that the factory, and it’s hard tell where the various parts are made on these little Masseys, wanted to get the parts to the paint shop and quenched the welded ends in water. Wallah! A brittle part.

I saw a set at TSC a couple years back and maybe its worth it to buy a whole set instead of trying to find one matching replacement arm? Also...the new set just has to be close in dimensions? Just something to consider.
Yes, a visit to Tractor Supply is on my list for tomorrow, storm allowing. I think the new set just has to be close.

/ Broken Lower 3 Point Hitch Arm #10  
A good weld should be strong enough....V it out and don't over heat and heat treat.