Backhoe Broken Joystick after 10 Hours (GC1725M/CB65)

/ Broken Joystick after 10 Hours (GC1725M/CB65) #11  
How did you break it?
Next time, use your fingertips on the controls rather than go all "King Kong"

/ Broken Joystick after 10 Hours (GC1725M/CB65) #12  
First Ive head of them breaking. I have head of them getting loose a feller from Louisiana has a youtube video out on how to tighten them. has nothing to do with this but the pictures show metal fatigue for sure.

/ Broken Joystick after 10 Hours (GC1725M/CB65)
I talked to the dealer today. There is "Another Fix" and they are waiting for the part before they come and get it. AFAIK the last two times it was in the shop they only replaced the failed part shown in the original post, not the entire stick and definitely not the valve assy. I think they changed the design over the last year or two.... I've seen pictures of older models and the sticks have rubber boots around them and the outrigger sticks are located in a different location.

I'm just really annoyed as I was trying to run power out to my shed, so my backyard is all torn up but I'm only halfway to the shed. Dealer says to check back on Friday, which means it won't get picked up until the following week, which means I don't put my yard back together until 5/9 at the earliest :mad:

How did you break it?
Next time, use your fingertips on the controls rather than go all "King Kong"

Lol, thanks, Harry - I'll try to be more dainty next time :p

The saga continues....

So now my dealer wants to blame me for the sticks breaking??? the whole thread is below. I've gone directly to AGCO/MF at this point. My question is, what have others experienced regarding warranty work and getting machines back and forth to the dealer? At this point I may have to try and JB Weld the part :p

Sent: Tuesday, May 5, 2020 4:08 PM
To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Subject: Broken Joystick Part CB 65

Hi Guys,

I've called twice last week and again today and still haven't received an answer as to when my machine can be fixed (again).

Could you please let me know when the parts are available and when the work can be done? I understand things are a little tricky these days with the coronavirus, but I壇 appreciate it if you could please give me a solid timeline, as I was in the middle of a project when it broke. Has there been another recall / technical bulletin on this issue? If there is a 3rd redesign on this part can MF replace both parts at the same time so we don't have to go through this again when the other one breaks again?

Thank You,

Steve

--------------------

On May 5, 2020, at 4:35 PM, xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Steven,
So far you are the only one that has broken these levers on a continual basis of all the unit we have delivered with the same design. There can be a lot of leverage applied due to the length of the joystick itself. Further damage can be done of the joystick lever is used as a hand grip to get on and off the machine either by accident or intentionally. But all that said we just got off the phone with AGCO (Massey) and they are developing a different kit using different metal which should be stronger. We DO HAVE kits in stock that we can fix your backhoe if you want to drop it off. Thursday would be best and we can get it done by days end if you like. But it will be the same kit we have already put in as the newer version has not been approved for release yet.

XXX

-------------------------
Hi XXX,

I have NEVER used the joystick as a hand grip to get on or off the machine - there's a handgrip right next to it that expressly for that purpose. I also do not put unnecessary pressure on the sticks, as I know that pulling back hard isn't going to make it dig any harder or faster.

As this repair is under warranty, I'd expect that you would be able to pick it up/return it and bill/chargeback AGCO accordingly. I'd also be happy to make the repair myself, but if that voids the warranty that's not a viable option. Is it something that can be fixed in the field vs. having to bring the entire machine to you?

Do you have any idea when the redesigned parts will be available? I'd rather fix this once and for all than have to go through this again, as I'm sure you would too. However, I can't have a useless piece of equipment sitting on the back of my machine for weeks or months.

Please let me know what we can do to resolve this.

Thank you,
Steve

Subject: RE: Broken Joystick Part CB 65
Date: May 5, 2020 at 8:18:14 PM EDT
To: "'Steven L'"

Hi Steve,
No I do not have any idea when the new part will be available. Pickup and delivery is NOT covered under the warranty. And doing the repair yourself would in fact void the warranty. Did you want to drop off the machine Thursday morning or late on Wednesday.

xxx

Subject: Re: Broken Joystick Part CB 65
Date: May 6, 2020 at 7:29:52 AM EDT
To: XXXX

Hi XXXX,

The last two times this happened I wasn't charged for transporting the machine, so I was under the impression that Agco reimburses you for that cost (as they should). While I would very much like to have the machine fixed tomorrow, I now need to arrange for a way to get it there and back. I get that sending your truck out costs money and time. You shouldn't have to eat that cost when the responsibility to honor the warranty lies with Agco, but I don't think I should have to pay for it either when this is a warranty/defect issue.

As such, I've reached out to Agco corporate directly to get this issue resolved and ensure that they cover the cost of transporting the machine, whether that be by you or someone else. I've also asked them to provide me an ETA on the redesigned part, as it appears that the current replacement part they are providing is still defective. I don't want to replace it, only to have to do it yet again. Once they get back to me, I will let you know what we were able to work out.

Thank you,
Steve[/FONT]

/ Broken Joystick after 10 Hours (GC1725M/CB65) #16  
Ask them if they are a metallurgists? 99% chance they are not....based on the picture of the broken part the break is way to porous and indicates a bad cast. Yes that will be a warranty fix.....defective part.

Take more pictures and if the dealer still wont cooperate then you will have to talk with the regional rep. I find that stealerships are way to greedy and lazy to go to bat for their customers. I had to get the regional rep involved once and it worked out in my favor.

As for the free pickup and delivery-that is entirely a stealership service and they can refuse or deny it anytime they want....I found that out too the hard way.

So in the end the dealer came through and had the machine picked up, fixed and returned in just a few hours - and he gave me 1/2 off the transport fee. I'm just really concerned that I'm going to have the same problem again... I'm waiting to hear back from MF support on when they are going to have their redesign ready. I think MF should be picking up the transport charges if they can't get it right the first (or second or third) time.

/ Broken Joystick after 10 Hours (GC1725M/CB65) #18  
So in the end the dealer came through and had the machine picked up, fixed and returned in just a few hours - and he gave me 1/2 off the transport fee. I'm just really concerned that I'm going to have the same problem again... I'm waiting to hear back from MF support on when they are going to have their redesign ready. I think MF should be picking up the transport charges if they can't get it right the first (or second or third) time.

My guess is your MF dealer is getting 1/2 transport fees from you, and 2/2 transport fees from MF.

I would strongly document (emails) with your MF dealer and also (cc emails) MF that you do not abuse your tractor and expect BOTH of them to take corrective action with quality new parts installed.

KC

/ Broken Joystick after 10 Hours (GC1725M/CB65) #19  
I know you shouldn't have to do this, mostly because it's in warranty and MF should fix the problem once and for all, but wouldn't be a bad idea to use the new part and get a machinist to make a new one out of steel like it should have been done in the first place.

I can't really comment on how expensive it would be though.