Backhoe Broken backhoe; how to get it back together?

/ Broken backhoe; how to get it back together?
That kinda explains it...
Retaining bolt fell out. Pin backed out of the far side. Near side bent, and as the ram extended, it bound on the pin and pulled it back up against the near side plate.
That makes sense... Thanks. I could not figure how it was flush but yet it pulled out from the other side...

/ Broken backhoe; how to get it back together? #12  
That kinda explains it...
Retaining bolt fell out. Pin backed out of the far side. Near side bent, and as the ram extended, it bound on the pin and pulled it back up against the near side plate.
Ditto's this comment...

Also NOT a great fan of cut and weld process..... Might be time to invest in good set of torches with rose bud tip....

Update, he "fixed" it.... Well enough so that he could move it to the shop: :ROFLMAO: 😂 :unsure: :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_0531.jpg
    IMG_0531.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 116
He took it apart and found a machine shop that said that they can repair it... I'll still follow up with it coming back together.

Attachments

• boom backhoe.jpg
    boom backhoe.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 89
   / Broken backhoe; how to get it back together? #17  
I’ve bent back a cylinder rod worse than this with my HF 20 ton press. It requires some oak or other dense wood and creative positioning & blocking (with V groves) to bend it back to shape. If I couldn’t bend the brackets back easily, I’d cut it off and fabricate new ones to weld on. Likely the better option since you can install thicker brackets and you don’t have to deal with getting the holes aligned which is gonna be a BEAR to do.

/ Broken backhoe; how to get it back together? #18  
I wouldnt have taken that appart to repair that. A few very strong C clamps or a sledge hammer look like they could have bent that back together. If not get the torch out and heat it.

This is the bad part about pins only held in on one side. How ever that does look like a prety new machine so I would go over every nut and bolt you can.

/ Broken backhoe; how to get it back together? #19  
Yeah, I would have tried to fix that while the arm was still on the tractor. Some combination of large c-clamps, heat, and a big hammer would get it done. If i DID take the arm off, i would just feed it through my 20 ton shop press and fix it there.

I think what really needs to be said though is not how to fix the bends, but that a longer pin should be used this time with some kind of pins/bolts on BOTH sides. That simple design change would have prevented this from happening in the first place.

Something i've done is just get a shaft collar from tractor supply or whatever, weld it on the outside of the other bracket, drill a hole through the pin starting from the setscrew hole in the shaft collar, out the other side, and then put a big cotter pin, lynch pin etc through it.

/ Broken backhoe; how to get it back together? #20  
Yeah, I would have tried to fix that while the arm was still on the tractor. Some combination of large c-clamps, heat, and a big hammer would get it done. If i DID take the arm off, i would just feed it through my 20 ton shop press and fix it there.

I think what really needs to be said though is not how to fix the bends, but that a longer pin should be used this time with some kind of pins/bolts on BOTH sides. That simple design change would have prevented this from happening in the first place.

Something i've done is just get a shaft collar from tractor supply or whatever, weld it on the outside of the other bracket, drill a hole through the pin starting from the setscrew hole in the shaft collar, out the other side, and then put a big cotter pin, lynch pin etc through it.
Along the lines of longer pin concept, how about some sort of cross strap to keep "ears" in line as long as it does not interferer with ram and movement.... If it bent once it may do it again...

IMG_0530-2.jpg

Last edited: