Backhoe Broken backhoe; how to get it back together?

/ Broken backhoe; how to get it back together? #21  
Well, it bent once because the ram only had to bend one side of the bracket (once the pin backed out of the other bracket). If the pin is never allowed to back out, the question becomes CAN the ram bend BOTH brackets? I would guess not since that means it could bend itself right from the factory floor as a 'feature'. But there's not much downside to reinforcing there, so i wouldn't be against it if someone wanted to!

/ Broken backhoe; how to get it back together?
Problem is I have access to big shop stuff, 50 ton press and heating torches, but I'm 3 hours away and the equipment is another hour in the other direction. The next time I'm up there will be for his 78th birthday at the end of the month. Then, getting it back to him.... Oh, did I say he's impatant and wants it done asap...

He cut all his white pine down and is stump grinding and ripping up roots so he can actually have a yard for once... First time I was up there was 1989-ish. It's changed over the years...

Hopefully, this will be repaired and I can help him get it back together by the end of the month....

/ Broken backhoe; how to get it back together? #23  
Well, it bent once because the ram only had to bend one side of the bracket (once the pin backed out of the other bracket). If the pin is never allowed to back out, the question becomes CAN the ram bend BOTH brackets? I would guess not since that means it could bend itself right from the factory floor as a 'feature'. But there's not much downside to reinforcing there, so i wouldn't be against it if someone wanted to!
Great points and exactly why I like to fix the pins on each ear on all the stuff I build. A flange machined on the pin on one side and a roll pin/bolt and nut/threaded the pin and use a nut and lock nut on the other side.

That would've for sure prevented this situation.

/ Broken backhoe; how to get it back together? #24  
Along the lines of longed pin concept, how about some sort of cross strap to keep "ears" in line as long as it does not interferer with ram and movement.... If it bent once it may do it again...

View attachment 754346
That's a really good idea and very cheap. How every typicaly when someone buys something new..."its new and just bought it" and dont check nuts and bolts. Welding a strap on would mean they would have to "fix" a new machine and prob not why they bought new. I do agree with you 100% though.

I dont buy new machines but even if the machine runs, drives, lifts, plows and had new fluids and filters i always go through and double check, test and always find something to fix, check or adjust. I also never trust a machine for quite a while after doing all this until its proven its self.

/ Broken backhoe; how to get it back together? #25  
It looks like the wimpy design of the pivot area allowed the pin to slip out of one side of the arm while still retained in the other side. Then, the twisting and bending happened. Maybe if the pin was retained on BOTH ends this would not have happened.

/ Broken backhoe; how to get it back together? #26  
Taking repair process one step further, It may be good idea to check all the retaining bolts on the pins, and be sure all the retaining bolts are tightened to torque spec... Maybe even removing bolts and cleaning threads and applying thread locker, or if access to back side of bolt is available maybe adding "jam' nut to bolt... Might keep owner from future damaging equipment...

Might Wonder of MF had better idea on securing pins, these are pin configuration on my MF DL95 loader... But then again if one looses securing bolt...

MF Loader Pins.jpg

Last edited:
   / Broken backhoe; how to get it back together? #27  
I wonder at the choice of bolts to retain these pins. It's cheaper I imagine since the pin can be a little shorter, and that likely explains it. It will also be easier to remove, and install if you're changing it with any frequency, like a bucket. (how many people frequently change out a pin mounted bucket though) This joint sure wouldn't be coming apart normally. Plus if you need to use thread locker on it, the ease of use aspect goes out the door. Personally I like the old school cotter pins either behind a big washer, or through an extended boss. Nothing to vibrate loose. Long term the hole might get a little sloppy, but we're talking a ton of hours for that, and it doesn't matter really. Everything is stupid sloppy on my MF 202's hoe, but it doesn't fall apart.

/ Broken backhoe; how to get it back together?
No photos but the backhoe was repaired... not much details except for prices, $500 total, $100 for repairing the boom and $400 for repairing the hydraulic ram. Which was sent out to 3rd party. He was happy with the boom repair but he thinks he got screwed over with the hydraulics. A new ram would have been $500...

He should have taken the ram to the hydraulic shop himself... he didn't know at the time that the shop was going to send it out (vs. in house) for repairs.