Broke the new Deere

/ Broke the new Deere #1  

searcyfarms

Veteran Member
Tractor
Farmall 560D - 706D German w/Cab - Volvo MC110 - 1944JD A - Deere 2038R - IH 5088
Well, that didnt take long - new 2038R with 32 hours on it.

Put it in H/was driving down to the neighbors on asphalt to move some decorative rock for our subdivision sign landscaping. Got about half way down the hill, appx 1/4 mile from his place to mine.

In 2wd with loader and deck on tractor. Something failed internally in drive line. I am guessing it was the front end but not sure.

Basically from WOT pedal mashed in H to an abrupt stop like a roller coaster at the end of the ride, sounds include high pitched whine and then a loud pop. That was the drive shaft breaking from the transmission to the front end. Thankfully I was wearing my seat belt as i think it would have likely shot me over the hood like a catapult.

It popped the hydro into N and started to freewheel so i braked of course, reduced engine speed and listened for noises. Nothing strange so went on down the hill to move the rocks. Its wet and to keep from tearing up the neighbors yard anymore than I needed I put it in 4wd, it did not work. We have BIG storms coming in so we got the gravel/landscaping done and i came home and put in the barn at dark. I got up Sat Morn and checked and the drive shaft was bent into a curve laying on top of the mower deck. One end that bolts onto a shaft not sure if its the out put of the trannie i didnt pay attention when i removed the shaft - about a 3/4" small shaft is twisted in two. Also the other end it blew out the U joint.

Its always been very difficult to get into 4wd i just attributed that to new gears and tightness. I also noticed its difficult to get the differential lock to work as well. You have to go fwd/rev to get it to mesh in as well. Who knows........just lucky i guess and thank god for seat belts.

So it made no noises and worked ok until i decided to mow last night. I turned on deck and grind/howl turned off quick. When the drive shaft slammed downward and bent it crushed pulleys/brackets on the mower deck. Yeowza what a deal.

Deere is going to come get it thursday. My wife and I had to push mow 1.5 acres yest wow that was quite a joy. Im too old for that !!! Trying to get parts for an older deere rider my kids have and get it going to use until the 2038R is fixed.

I guess i am just lucky to have such odd things happen. They already had to replace the noisy gearbox on the 72 quick connect belly mower I hope this is the last of the gremlins.

I didnt see anything on the internet regarding anything like this so guessing its a rare/odd thing. I always seem to get that type of stuff vs something common.

/ Broke the new Deere #2  
Sounds like something went very wrong. Keep us posted on what the dealer finds. I'm curious as to what would break to cause that.

/ Broke the new Deere
yea me too, it was scary when it happened im so glad i had on my seat belt

/ Broke the new Deere #4  
yea me too, it was scary when it happened im so glad i had on my seat belt

Bummer searcyfarms . . . seems you did everything right (2 wd for roading) :confused3:

/ Broke the new Deere #5  
Well, that didnt take long - new 2038R with 32 hours on it.

Put it in H/was driving down to the neighbors on asphalt to move some decorative rock for our subdivision sign landscaping. Got about half way down the hill, appx 1/4 mile from his place to mine.

In 2wd with loader and deck on tractor. Something failed internally in drive line. I am guessing it was the front end but not sure.

Basically from WOT pedal mashed in H to an abrupt stop like a roller coaster at the end of the ride, sounds include high pitched whine and then a loud pop. That was the drive shaft breaking from the transmission to the front end. Thankfully I was wearing my seat belt as i think it would have likely shot me over the hood like a catapult.

It popped the hydro into N and started to freewheel so i braked of course, reduced engine speed and listened for noises. Nothing strange so went on down the hill to move the rocks. Its wet and to keep from tearing up the neighbors yard anymore than I needed I put it in 4wd, it did not work. We have BIG storms coming in so we got the gravel/landscaping done and i came home and put in the barn at dark. I got up Sat Morn and checked and the drive shaft was bent into a curve laying on top of the mower deck. One end that bolts onto a shaft not sure if its the out put of the trannie i didnt pay attention when i removed the shaft - about a 3/4" small shaft is twisted in two. Also the other end it blew out the U joint.

Its always been very difficult to get into 4wd i just attributed that to new gears and tightness. I also noticed its difficult to get the differential lock to work as well. You have to go fwd/rev to get it to mesh in as well. Who knows........just lucky i guess and thank god for seat belts.

So it made no noises and worked ok until i decided to mow last night. I turned on deck and grind/howl turned off quick. When the drive shaft slammed downward and bent it crushed pulleys/brackets on the mower deck. Yeowza what a deal.

Deere is going to come get it thursday. My wife and I had to push mow 1.5 acres yest wow that was quite a joy. Im too old for that !!! Trying to get parts for an older deere rider my kids have and get it going to use until the 2038R is fixed.

I guess i am just lucky to have such odd things happen. They already had to replace the noisy gearbox on the 72 quick connect belly mower I hope this is the last of the gremlins.

I didnt see anything on the internet regarding anything like this so guessing its a rare/odd thing. I always seem to get that type of stuff vs something common.

Is your timeline in this post out of sync, or am I reading that you kept trying to use it after you knew something went wrong?

/ Broke the new Deere
1) was driving to neighbors Fri evening when the issue happened
2) put it back into gear and reduced engine speed it wasnt making any noises so i continued down the hill another 100yds - no noises so scooped up a load of landscaping rocks and no funny noises
3) rear wheels started to spin backing away from rocks so pulled on 4wd stick - no noises but also it wasnt working
4) stepped on pedal for axle lock backed up, scooped up 5 more scoops and dumped them
5) drop back home put in barn, it was dark and i was tired and storms were coming i needed to get inside
6) survived storms got up sat morn went out to shop and checked mower
7) found mower drive shaft laying on top of mower deck, removed it and looked at it all bent up
8) left for other farm at folks in north missour
9) fixed tractor up there and visited folks
10) came home sunday nite
11) worked in barn all day yest then in evening attempted to mow, thats when i discovered bent lots of noises when i turned on the mower deck
12) determined noises from bent pulleys and brackets parked it back in barn
13) called deere this morning to have them come get it that is where things stand, i will get pix this evening and try to post

that help the time line?

/ Broke the new Deere #7  
Best case is just a broken u-joint that did a little damage when it broke. I think a posters point above is you should have parked once you had a problem.

/ Broke the new Deere #8  
Maybe try painting it Orange...��... just kidding.. that's a bummer

/ Broke the new Deere #9  
Hope deer does not try to hold anything against you when they found out the unit was continued to be used. Hopefully warranty work and its being new will take care of it.