Seeders broadcaster vs seed drill

/ broadcaster vs seed drill #1  

dennisleary

Tractor
kubota 4760
Anybody have an opinion about a broadcaster vs a seed drill? I have 28 acres I want to covercrop with ryegrass/vetch, so I'm undecided about which one to buy. Based on what I've googled and read, plus conversations with my farmer friends, a broadcaster is more versatile, and cheaper, and simpler to use, but I wonder if I would waste lots of seed, and get a patchy field, and feed the birds to boot. A seed drill seems like it would produce more consistent results, but I don't like the idea of having an expensive piece of equipment sitting around 363 days of the year, you know what I mean? Thanks very much.

/ broadcaster vs seed drill #2  
I would get a drill the savings in not wasting seed will pay for itself. For as little land as you are going to use it for you will probably do fine with one that is missing some paint.

/ broadcaster vs seed drill #3  
Common wisdom around here is its cheaper to rent a drill than use your own broadcaster you have lying around. Seed savings is just that good.

A no till drill means no plowing & associated topsoil & moisture loss too.

/ broadcaster vs seed drill #4  
Standard rule of thumb: broadcasting yields about 60% germination, drilling about 90%. Reason for that difference is the fact that broadcast seed just falls on the surface and is not pressed into good contact with the soil (unless you make another pass with a cultipacker over the broadcast field).

Ryegrass and vetch seeds are pretty tiny, so you'd need to find a grain drill that has grass seed boxes attached to the main hopper, which is used to plant larger size seeds like oats, wheat, etc.

I bought two old Minneapolis Moline P3-6 grain drills (10 ft wide, 20 drops, single disc openers) from a neighbor for $275. Used the parts from both to make one good drill. Added a hydraulic cylinder to raise the openers out of the soil while making turns. Total cost: less than $500.

Drill-3.JPGDrill--4.JPGDrill-5.jpg

Here's a couple of photos of Kanota oats planted with that drill.

Kanota oats-1.JPGKanota oats-2.JPG

The drill plants in rows separated with 6 inch spacing. If you want a solid stand with 90% germination you need to consider something like a Brillion grass seeder. You can rent these sometimes at county ag agencies. They show up on eBay regularly. A 5-fti wide Brillion goes for $3K or so.

/ broadcaster vs seed drill #5  
I Have planted many acres by just broadcasting. But I always disc the field after seeding and get the good sold crop without the extra costs.

/ broadcaster vs seed drill #6  
How much land prep can be AVOIDED by using a seed drill rather than a broadcast spreader?

(What can you drill through when planting seed with a seed drill?)

/ broadcaster vs seed drill #7  
Having researched a bit, but never used one... A NO TILL drill just needs the area to be mowed. A drill needs it tilled & possibly smoothed.

/ broadcaster vs seed drill #8  
I broadcast seed/fertilizer mix from a cone spreader and drag it with chainlink fence with tires tied on top for years at old deer camp. always got a good stand but had to spray, wait 2 weeks, disc the edges, burn off the thick mat of dead grass, disc 3-4 times to get a seedbed.

I planted a 2 acre field this year the same way

20141004_115619.jpg

I also drilled 5 acres of bean stubble with a Taylor Pasture Dream

20141011_140123.jpgMFDC0043.jpg

after 1 week and 2" of rain
plowed field
20141004_115545.jpg
drilled field
20141017_080043.jpg

After 2 weeks

plowed
20141011_131107.jpg

Drilled field
20141017_153100.jpg

Same amount of seed and fertilizer

Last edited:
   / broadcaster vs seed drill #9  
I have broadcast rye grass seed and then used the chain drag harrow on established pastures. Fairly good germination. Just broadcasting not so good.

/ broadcaster vs seed drill #10  
ryegrass and hairy vetch establish pretty easily and compete well with weeds so you will get good stand most likely either way. Generally with broadcast you can plan on using 1.5-2x the amount of seed over using a drill.

I have a broadcast spreader and drill. For larger seeds such as grasses, cereal grains, peas and vetch and such the choice is the drill every time. Better metering and gets the seed in the dirt. For smaller seeds like clovers, brassicas and alfalfa I will go ahead and broadcast it. It's really hard to meter the small seed through the drill without a filler.

If you are doing 28 acres the only thing I would consider is a drill.