Briggs Vanguard 23 in a Steiner 420

/ Briggs Vanguard 23 in a Steiner 420 #1  
Tractor
Steiner 420
I'm getting a good deal from a Steiner dealer on a 2001 420. One previous owner.

Dealer had this re-powered for the home owner with a Briggs Vanguard 23 HP engine a while back.

I guess that's a good thing. Any experience or opinions about this engine?

/ Briggs Vanguard 23 in a Steiner 420 #2  
Yes. Good engine and a keeper!

/ Briggs Vanguard 23 in a Steiner 420 #3  
I don't know the 420 or this Briggs engine, but according to this page the two never existed together.

I would be concerned about what they did to get it to work.

My personal experience with other "mash-ups," like cars has not been positive.🦨

/ Briggs Vanguard 23 in a Steiner 420 #4  
One thing you may want to chase down, depending on how you intend to operate the tractor is the angle rating of the motor they installed. The Vanguard specs say the oil pickup is "centrally located" for "higher angle of operation" but don't say exactly to what angle.

/ Briggs Vanguard 23 in a Steiner 420
One thing you may want to chase down, depending on how you intend to operate the tractor is the angle rating of the motor they installed. The Vanguard specs say the oil pickup is "centrally located" for "higher angle of operation" but don't say exactly to what angle.
That's a good point.
since this is a reputable Steiner dealer, I feel like they know what they're doing, maybe even prefer this engine from experience over putting in another Kohler or onan? I'll ask them and let you know.

I don't know the 420 or this Briggs engine, but according to this page the two never existed together.

I would be concerned about what they did to get it to work.

My personal experience with other "mash-ups," like cars has not been positive.🦨
No they never existed together. But when it came time to replace the engine, the Steiner dealer chose to put this Briggs in as replacement. Cost, maybe ($1,800)? Better, more reliable engine? I'll ask and post if I learn anything.

/ Briggs Vanguard 23 in a Steiner 420 #7  
Though it likely came down to what was more affordable for them to replace, Vanguards are great engines. It is possible to starve any engine of oil supply if you try hard enough- pump or not. Onan engines are out of production, Kohler Commands never seemed to have decent engine specials but would have been a good choice too.

/ Briggs Vanguard 23 in a Steiner 420 #8  
I did some more digging and found "a manual" from Vanguard.

Now to be clear, I don't know if the engines have changed over the years or which exact serial numbers, etc..

But the manual I found said it could operate up to 15 degrees of tilt. However it did not specify which direction.

On my property, this would be a problem.

Though it likely came down to what was more affordable for them to replace, Vanguards are great engines. It is possible to starve any engine of oil supply if you try hard enough- pump or not. Onan engines are out of production, Kohler Commands never seemed to have decent engine specials but would have been a good choice too.
So if the original had been Onan, they couldn't have replaced it with same. If it had been Kohler, maybe dealer knew from experience to not put in another Kohler. Also, Kubota 3-cyl diesel is at least twice as expensive as the Briggs. I think the Briggs is a good engine, even though I don't understand the issue with "oil pick up tilt angle". I don't have the technical knowledge.

/ Briggs Vanguard 23 in a Steiner 420 #10  
I had a 430MAX with the Liquid Kubota Gas Engine for a little while. I don't like gassers, and still had to fart around with that stupid choke, but man, was that ever a sweet, smooth running engine.