breakin rpm's

/ breakin rpm's #11  
Re: breakin rpm\'s

When teaching people how to run a hydro I stress the ability to get to know the tractor. By that I mean to listen to the tractor, there is no reason to be spinning tires on a hydro. Listen to the transmission and engine, it will tell you when the tires are going to spin. When it does get to that point raise the loader or curl the bucket back if the buckets full. To be spinning the tires creates ruts that you later have to fix. That is not a bad thing if you don't have anything better to do.

/ breakin rpm's #12  

Art,

Like you mentioned, I've learned to listen to avoid spinning. But it was too much fun to see the tires spin after weeks of using the tractor and having the engine die while pushing into a pile of dirt. Now to get the ballast for the tires to increase productivity ...

DaveV

/ breakin rpm's #13  

Art,

Is there anything definitive for running rpm's?

On my B8200 Kubota, I know the rated engine rpm for the 540-pto is 2600 rpm.

But for general work, should I crank it above that? Till now, I have viewed that 2600 as a effective red-line. For general work, I run it between 2000-2600 rpm(FEL, scraper, ect). Is this correct?

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ breakin rpm's #14  

RobertN, I don't think you could hurt it running it at PTO rpm all day; they're made to work like that, but for me personally, I do it like you do. I don't see any need to run the rpm and noise at top level if I don't need the power or the PTO speed for an implement. I probably run my tractor at 2K plus or minus a couple of hundred at least half the time.

Bird