Bread maker or machine?

/ Bread maker or machine? #12  
Here is what I know, for what its worth:

My daughter had a Panasonic bread maker that she stopped using after several years of owning it, so she gave it to me. It works great. However I hate the shape of loaves made in bread maker, so I use it in the "Dough" mode only. After the dough is made I reshape the dough into a regular loaf shape, put it in a regular bread pan and bake it in the oven. This works well.

I have several recipes on a spread sheet. Each of those recipes is listed fractioned out into 1/2, 3/4, whole loaf, 1-1/2 loaves and 2 loaves batch sizes, which is nothing more than various ratios of the ingredients. What I find myself using the most is the 1-1/2 loaves batch size in dough mode, then I split that into two separate loaves when re-shaping for baking and end up with two 3/4 sized loaves.

My favorite recipe calls for half whole wheat, half white wheat, with sliced almonds and flax seed mixed in, and using honey instead of sugar. When I take that to pot lucks it is always a big hit. My wife loves it when toasted.

My daughter also gave me a bread slicing guide so one can cut the loaf into uniform, straight slices. Definitely worth having.

/ Bread maker or machine? #13  
More notes. When I make the two 3/4 size loaves, I wrap them tightly with cling wrap and then put each one in a second plastic storage bag (I asked the local grocer if I could 'steal' a few of his produce bags. He said, "go for it any time you want."), We freeze one and eat one fresh. The frozen one is almost as good as fresh as long as you don't store it too long, like say 2 or three weeks. A loaf on the counter usually lasts between 5 to 7 days before getting stale or moldy. Don't slice it until you eat it, and always keeping it wrapped tight helps the life expectancy. Sometimes we have to throw the last bit away, but not too often.

/ Bread maker or machine? #14  
I bought a bread machine second hand real cheap off a guy that loved bread so much he developed diabetes. Like deep fryers, they're a little dangerous. Take care
My wife is an RN-CDE, CDE = certified diabetes educator.

I read your post to her, and she said, "carbs do NOT cause diabetes, insulin resistance and weight from decreased activity cause diabetes", AND of course, lousy jeans!

SR

Last edited:
   / Bread maker or machine? #15  
Ours is a Regal. 1.5 lb max. It does a good job. Like cougsfan mentioned, the bread is much better when prepared in the machine, but shaped and baked elsewhere. It allows for rolls or French loaves, boules or however you like it.

What I like best is the ability to make just small loaf. No need to get the whole house warmed up for proofing and such.

We have had it for quite a few years, but I know it was not more than $150 new.

/ Bread maker or machine? #16  
My wife insisted on getting a bread machine many years ago. She made maybe 1 or 2 loaves a year. Big waste of shelf space and lots of ruined yeast packets.

our local store has an instore bread machine. Makes great tasting bread every day. We gave wifes machine to a friend.

/ Bread maker or machine? #18  
Just a note, The secret of really good bread is TIME.
time to rise, and time to just set. That is why sourdough breads, refrigerator breads etc. have such an enjoyable texture and keep so long.

Bread makers can never do, in a couple of hours, what really good bread needs done in 24 hours.

But if you eat the entire loaf fresh out and still warm,
The other aspects are lost in the melting butter.....;-)

/ Bread maker or machine? #19  
We have a 1.5# Oster and a 1# The Bread Machine. I prefer the 1.5# Oster as it doesn't overflow. We use store bought complete mix where you only add water, usually wheat bread. It makes tasty bread, we make it once a month or so on Friday and it is usually gone by Sunday night. I like to put butter and honey on it.

/ Bread maker or machine? #20  
My wife is an RN-CDE, CDE = certified diabetes educator.

I read your post to her, and she said, "carbs do NOT cause diabetes, insulin resistance and weight from decreased activity cause diabetes", AND of course, lousy jeans!

SR
Those lousy jeans are pretty expensive. Cost a lot more money when they're full of holes.