Branson "bouncy" hydraulics

/ Branson "bouncy" hydraulics #1  

PeteN

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2020 LS MT357HC
Still evaluating tractors for a purchase of a 50+hp model. Ran a Branson 4820 yesterday and liked the overall tractor but noticed that when raising and lowering the FEL the front of the tractor was very springy vertically. This was with nothing in the bucket. This model had R4 tires. Is this normal for the Branson? Does putting weight in the bucket minimize this or make it worse? There was no fluid in the rear tires which may affect the motion front to back. Just to compare, I drove down the street to the Kubota dealer and tried the same thing on a MX6000. Some motion but not nearly as much as the Branson. I'd have to say though that the Kubota hydraulics seemed smoother in operation and needed less rpm to move the FEL at a reasonable rate. Both tractors weigh about the same. This isn't a major problem but I never noticed this on my JD 2020 with the FEL attached.

/ Branson "bouncy" hydraulics #2  
Having had a Kubota and a Branson, I think the Kubota loader controls are better. Part of that is due to the extra friction from the cable operated remote valve on the Branson (my Kubota B7100 had the valve on the loader) and part is due to the quality of the valves themselves. One of the ways the Kubota controls are better is the ability to make small movements. With practice I can do ok with my Branson but it was easier with the Kubota.

However a lot of other things will affect how much "bounce" you get from operating an empty loader- engine rpm, front tire pressure, the amount of weight on the 3pt.

/ Branson "bouncy" hydraulics #3  
Branson hydraulics are quick, so engine rpm and weight impacts smoothness. And off course the more you operate the better flow in operations you will get. I think I'm doing a whole lot better than I did when I 1st got the tractor.

/ Branson "bouncy" hydraulics
Thanks. Good to know from those who know.

/ Branson "bouncy" hydraulics #5  
Some tractors incorporate a hydraulic cushion device on their loaders called by Kubota a Kubota Shockless Ride.

There are other similar products on the market which can be retrofitted to loader.

Kubota Shockless Ride
(KSR)
The KSR absorbs loader shock
and reduces operator fatigue.
This option is perfect if your
tasks include a great deal of
tight turns or lifting and dumping
of heavy loads. It effectively
takes the “bounce” out of
handling round bales.

John Deere sells a Loader Suspension system."

LSS

These systems can be turned on or off so make certain the Branson does not have one.

Dave M7040

/ Branson "bouncy" hydraulics #6  
A new valve vs. an older used valve could be involved in the lever feel-to some degree.

/ Branson "bouncy" hydraulics #7  
I've noticed on my 3620 that you can control that bounce with a very light touch on the controls. The bucket can be made to move and to stop very quickly if you are quick with the controls.

/ Branson "bouncy" hydraulics #8  
I install the soft ride system on the M59. Makes a huge difference carrying heavy loads. Not only operator comfort but also less impact wear on the tractor components.