Branson 3510i Starter Replacement

/ Branson 3510i Starter Replacement #1  

cpocobb

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 3510
My 3510i starter won’t turn over. I have a good battery, solid 12 volts to the starter, and also 12 volts to the wire directly below the main cable on the starter when the ignition switch is in the crank position. I want to take the starter off to bench test it, but I’m (seriously!) afraid I won’t be able to get the bolt behind the starter back in. If I can even get it out! Has anyone changed a starter on this model of tractor? Any tips or secrets?

Last edited:
   / Branson 3510i Starter Replacement
After cleaning everything again I was able to jump the starter and get it to barely turn over. With further cleaning of the small wire going to the bottom of the starter, it now spins freely. But it won’t crank! It will sputter with some ether, telling me it’s not getting fuel, but I don’t know why. Any thoughts?

/ Branson 3510i Starter Replacement #3  
There could be air in the fuel injection lines. Did you change the fuel filter?
The lift pump might not be working. On my newer Branson the lift pump makes a noticable sound (fast clicking) when the ignition key is turned on.

/ Branson 3510i Starter Replacement #4  
Just a thought, may want to make sure the electronic shutoff solenoid on the IP is working. If you turn the key to run it should lock in. I had an issue with mine failing to pull in, keeping it from starting, although I did not have the starter issues you are experiencing.

Mike