Brake Rotors. Resurface or New?

/ Brake Rotors. Resurface or New? #41  
I'm near 280K miles on original rotors. I get my brakes / rotors from NAPA and already have them. Doubt if Autozone will loan me a puller if I don't buy the rotors from them.

/ Brake Rotors. Resurface or New? #42  
I'm near 280K miles on original rotors. I get my brakes / rotors from NAPA and already have them. Doubt if Autozone will loan me a puller if I don't buy the rotors from them.

They don't ask questions. They have no idea what you are doing with it. Nor do they care.

You pick out a puller, and you pay for it. When you are done you return it, and they refund your money.

You can also keep it. They don't care.

/ Brake Rotors. Resurface or New? #43  
I know some stores do lend tools if you buy parts from them. To buy, use, then return a tool, I prefer to be more ethical than that.

/ Brake Rotors. Resurface or New? #44  
If they are ceramic brake pads, 3rd set is pretty typical. I am told, most get about 70k out of them.

2nd set of rotors is not typical.

What is the make, and model of this vehicle?

2000 Super Duty that pulls a load often.

/ Brake Rotors. Resurface or New? #45  
I know some stores do lend tools if you buy parts from them. To buy, use, then return a tool, I prefer to be more ethical than that.

I don't think Ray meant actually purchase it, use it, return it. I think what he meant was they bill you for the puller when you borrow it? That way they could care less whether you bring it back or not. I've never borrowed tools from a store so I'm not sure if I understand him correctly.

/ Brake Rotors. Resurface or New? #46  

I am trying to help you, not steer you toward a life of crime.

I will try and be as specific as I can, so there is no more confusion.

This is THEIR policy for "borrowed" tools: You go there, and tell them you need to "borrow" a puller. You pick out what you need, from their available collection. You pay for it. (This is apparently where I confused you.) They charge you for the tool, as your deposit. If you return it when you are done, they return your money. If you like it, and want to keep it, they don't care, because, you paid for it.

They tell me, that approximately 1/2 the time, the "borrower" chooses to keep the tool. They still make money off of this, because of that.

Not all operations require the purchase of a part. If someone unwisely leaves a brake drum on for too long, and wants to check the rear brakes, do you think they are going to require them to buy a set of brakes, whether they need them or not, before they can "borrow" a puller, to pull the drum, and see if they need them?

If it really bothers you, to "borrow" a tool from them, because you bought your parts elsewhere. Ask them if they mind, I guarantee they will tell you they don't care. It's called goodwill, it generates loyalty, and future business.

You can certainly buy some oil, or some other useful item, to "make it up to them".

/ Brake Rotors. Resurface or New? #47  
2000 Super Duty that pulls a load often.

I can get Bosch Lifetime rear rotors for a 2000 Super Duty, at O'riley for $65 ea./single tire, and $76 ea./dual tires. So, you are not getting a very good "brake" on prices there.

/ Brake Rotors. Resurface or New? #48  
anti-seize-paste-25365-3313967.jpg
This is the stuff that you want for your brake job....

/ Brake Rotors. Resurface or New? #49  
"Here" in the salt belt we are forever fighting stuck calipers and rusted out rotors from road treatments, especially on the rears where splash is worse. Drum brakes would last longer and be less trouble back there. My 2004 truck with 67,000 miles just got its second set of replacement calipers and rotors (3rd set including the factory stuff).

/ Brake Rotors. Resurface or New? #50  
I can get Bosch Lifetime rear rotors for a 2000 Super Duty, at O'riley for $65 ea./single tire, and $76 ea./dual tires. So, you are not getting a very good "brake" on prices there.

I liked the brake "pun". :)

I'll go talk to the parts store. They claim to be giving me a military discount which usually shows up on the ticket. But if they are retailing everything first, the discount wouldn't mean much. You've got my curiosity up now. Thanks.