box blade or pulverizer for bx2200

/ box blade or pulverizer for bx2200 #1  

duster

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX2200 LOADER,60
i just purchased my bx2200 finally,and i would like to know if i should purchase a box blade or a pulverizer for doing my yard grading and preperation for seeding.i have 1.5 acres.

/ box blade or pulverizer for bx2200 #2  
I've never used a pulverizer, so I don't know about the relative merits of the two. The box blade is excellent if you have to move much dirt or if you want to change the shape of your land. With the scarifiers you can loosen up the seed bed as deep as you'll need. If you don't mind looking like an amateur, you can chain a board to the bottom, drag it around, and flatten out the seed bed quickly.

I say, buy the box blade, and rent the pulverizer. If that's your main grading project, you'll get a lot more use out of the box blade.

/ box blade or pulverizer for bx2200 #3  
Don't laught too hard, but I can do a much better job of leveling and preparation with a landscape rake than a box blade. The tines load up and carry the dirt quite well. The rake also works better on leveling gravel or roadbase on a driveway than a box blade. Your milage may vary. Go ahead and laugh. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ box blade or pulverizer for bx2200 #4  
Duster, I own three grading implements, all landpride. A 7' rake, 6' box scraper and 6' pulverizer. It truly depends on the soil condition and what you want to do with it, the pulverizer makes a beautiful seed bed but that is really all you can do with it unless you have horses and you can grade and level riding ring's with it. Wen is correct about the box blade will definately move some earth, but the rake is the most versital piece of the three!

Mike

/ box blade or pulverizer for bx2200 #5  
I'd second Wen's comment on the rake. I have a BX also. I'd suggest your first purchase be the rake. I have a 4' box scraper but I use it with the digging blade off. If I want to loosen the soil I can run with the digging tips down and then smooth it out with the weight of the box scraper rear facing blade. (I usually do this after raking to take the "looseness" out of the soil. If was trying to make it REAL pretty I'd leave it loose, seed it and then find a way to tow our lawn roller behind the BX, that and the tires should compact the seed just right! The rake I have has a flip down grader blade and side panels so I don't have to take the rake off for loose dirt. I found that the BX will dig with the scraper but with my rocky soil it was fairly slow going. I have an L35 (6000lbs+) Kubota that I loosen the ground with.The rake will make the mess I make with the L35 look nice, dragging up all the weed clumps, then raking up all the "spuds" I pull up with the L35. I have another piece of property with "rockless" ground, I can't wait to get the BX up there with the rake. And I agree with Wen's comment on the dirt moving ability. Unless you are moving sand or very dry dirt it will move a lot even with out the side panels and blade.

/ box blade or pulverizer for bx2200 #6  
Wish I had a L35 to play with. The rake with the flipdown blade is great the landpride is a nice rake. But what about gauge wheels? Thats the perfect final touch keeps the rake on the allready leveled ground and runs level when the tractor jumps up or down.
Gordon

/ box blade or pulverizer for bx2200 #7  
Gordon, the guage wheels work great, in just a minute or two you can adjust them up or down to give the rake less or more "bite". I'd probably put the digging blade back on the box scraper and use it if I had some way to mount wheels on it to control it's down pressure but still be in "float" mode.

The L35 is a fun toy, I thought the old Ford was a good unit, it was and is, but 8 more hp and 1000+pounds really makes a difference. This thing is so solid feeling I get hardly any feedback from the ground when I'm using the loader. I bet the new Boomers are the same way. I've never driven something in the 35 hp range in Blue.