Snow Attachments Box Blade for Plowing snow.

/ Box Blade for Plowing snow. #1  

jay_ch28

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
I picked up a TC40D that has a Bush Hog Loader on it. I also got a box blade (this thing is great). I want to use this machine for plowing/snow removal this winter. I am curious how well the box blade will work for me.

The driveway mostly dirt with a small paved sections in front of the garage and one in front of the barn. The driveway is 1/4 mile long and has a slight incline when leaving the house.

I do have a very old plow that will need work to be durable, but I could build that up and weld some tabs in the bucket.

What do you guys think?

/ Box Blade for Plowing snow. #2  
The first year I had my tractor I plowed snow with the FEL and box blade. The BB is frustrating at best for snow. Depending on your drive, you'll quickly wish for it to be angled to cast the snow to the side. Without that, you're just moving windrows of snow around.

You can pick up a light duty rear blade with angle capabilities pretty cheap. Light duty is all you need for snow /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Box Blade for Plowing snow. #3  
I definitely agree with RobS (get a light duty rear blade that angles).

Due to its weight, the box blade will most likely do a fair amount of work on your driveway you really don't want. (e.g. if your paved section is asphalt, it may rip it up or scrape heavily.

/ Box Blade for Plowing snow. #4  
Ditto from me. Last year was the first time I had a chance to use the tractor for snow removal and it was a lesson in frustration using the FEL and a boxblade.

I've got my checkbook ready for a trip to the dealer to get a 72" light duty rear blade just for moving snow.

Now I should mention that I really didn't mind spending the time on the tractor, just hated to make so many passes to do so little work.

/ Box Blade for Plowing snow. #5  
What makes a box blade such a great implement on gravel and dirt is it's undoing with snow. Before I even knew what a box blade was I saw a neighbor struggling in 6-8 inch deep wet snow with his. For the money using an rear blade that angles is the best way to go in this instance.

/ Box Blade for Plowing snow. #6  
We use a box blade for removing snow in the winter, and for what we use it for, it does more than a rear blade could.
To be specific, we're cleaning out areas like a loading dock, a sidewalk around an unloading circle at the front entrance, and other jobs that require moving large piles of snow. It may be how we have the angle set up, but it does not do any damage to the pavement.
If its all you got, it'll work. Its not so much a plow as a snow pusher, so keep that in mind.

/ Box Blade for Plowing snow. #7  
Unless you enjoy moving 8 feet, stopping, raising the box blade, backing up sideways, pushing that wad of snow off to the side with your FEL, and repeating the process hundreds of times, a box blade is worthless for clearing snow. I have a 1/4 mile driveway. Trying to use a box blade is an exercise in futility. The same goes with a FEL. All you do is move the same snow back and forth the distance of your driveway. As much as I didn't want to spend the money, I had to buy a rear blade so I can angle the snow away to each side. I can clear now in 5 minutes, two passes (one each way) what it took 2 or three hours before.

The box blade is better at grading and leveling the gravel in the driveway. For snow, it is the wrong tool for the job.

/ Box Blade for Plowing snow. #8  
Try a landscape rake. Angle it and it moves a lot of snow and has a lot more uses than a blade. If you have both no big deal, but if you want to purchase only one I would go with the rake.

/ Box Blade for Plowing snow. #9  
This may sound stupid, but what the heck is a landscape rake really for? I have dozens of implements, but that isn't one I have. I don't rake leaves (I just mow 'em), and what small branches fall in my mowing area, I do the same with them. What would be the biggest use of a landscape rake? I have a plow, disk, harrow, gill, rototiller, cultipacker, boxblade, rear blade, slip scraper, slit seeder....well, you get the point. Do I need a landscape rake? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Box Blade for Plowing snow. #10  
I have to agree with the others about the rear blade. The first winter I used my box blade for moving snow, it tore the bejeezus out of my gravel. Bought a 6' rear blade last fall at TSC for about $200. Works great for moving the snow here in KY, usually not more than 6-8" at a time.

I actually like using the blade for grading more than the box blade, it seems to dig in less when you put the finishing touches on.

FYIW,

Bud