Bought Rusty a 3600 Ford on Craigslist

/ Bought Rusty a 3600 Ford on Craigslist #1  

Gale Hawkins

Super Star Member
Tractor
1948 Allis Chambers Model B 1976 265 MF / 1983 JD 310B Backhoe / 1966 Ford 3000 Diesel / 1980 3600 Diesel
1980 ford 3600 rusty.jpg

Separating this from my 3000 CL purchase thread at:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...s/387255-bought-ford-3000-diesel-today-4.html
Posts #71-74 on this other thread apply to Rusty and not the 1966 3000.

Copy of post #71 in other thread.

Not sure why I bought this one. :) Actually if we leave the one arm loader on the 3000 this one may be our go to for finish mowing because the 3000 is going to be more for show.

We are going to call it Rusty. Actually the motor starts up and sounds awesome to me and with the tractor off the lift would hold up the 5' bush hog without any noticeable seepage 10-15 minutes later. The owner of the last 32 years bought it from the first owner when it was 5 years old. The tach is working and showing 2300 hours and I was told those are its true hours. The brake back plates show some surface rust but at least they are NOT leaking fluid like the 2600 was on the right rear wheel meaning no brake on that side. Actually the sheet metal is very straight for the most part. The power steering control must be leaking some because it is black but nothing is dripping or spraying. The roll bar and single spool controller where added from the owner's brother tractor.

The oil reportedly has been changed every 100 hours and the UTF has been changed out 3 times and the last time was within the last 100 hours of use. The 15W-40 Rotella (oil used last 32 years) looks relative clean.

On the 2600 the guy like to have never got it to start and it ran awful but did smooth out in about 30 minutes but never would take the gas without a hesitation. Brought back bad carb memories but having to dry up the rear seals leaks for the new 40 years just did not appeal to me.

At least I have a project tractor that it will be hard to hurt its looks. :)

/ Bought Rusty a 3600 Ford on Craigslist
Yesterday I picked up two used front wheels and tires that were to have come off of a 3930 I think but they are 15" 7.50's but the height are equal to the 6.50 x 16 on old John Deere bent up rims. One had a rotten tube and in the process of them getting tossed around on valve stem started leaking so I decided to get two new tubes. When I said I was going to clean off the rust and paint them the shop owner just removed them from the rims so I came home with just the wheels. He as a set of used tires the same size that are much better tread wise so I may go back on with his set.

Getting started on this project is hard because so many things are to be done. :)

Since I wanted to drive it some and hear it run I decided to start on flushing the radiator and block so I worked on both drains and got some flow started. Ran it enough to get the engine warm with just plain water in it ran if for a while. Since our well water has a ph of about 5.5 I am leaving it in overnight because it will bring out some crud tomorrow when I flush it again. After the drain downs start staying clear I will do a refill and add the Prestone 6 hour cleaner that I have used for many years to clean up old cooling systems.

Both new radiator hoses came today so I may put them on soon or I may just run water with conditioner this summer in case I take the nose off to replace the front axle bushing and pin. The pin seems OK but the bushing has slipped some over the years so I will just replace both. When I do that I hope to paint my way out when going back together if the old hoses do not fail first.

Best Rust Converters (Mar. 218) - Buyer’s Guide and Reviews

I have been using Skyco OSPHO rust reformer to spray on buckets and equipment in general. 3-4 years ago I bought a case of 4 gallon jugs and still have 2.5 gallons. By flashlight I did the underside of the hood, top of head, but my main goal was the battery rack tray so I can paint it maybe before the cold rain gets here.

The ability to turn heavy rust into a protective coating that is very paintable appeals to me. I will wash up the 'new' front wheels and Skyco OSPHO them before I paint them inside and out can will work to get tires with new tubes mounted first of next week. If the weather works with me I will get the entire skin covered with the Skyco OSPHO to stop and resolve current rust. It does not last very long if exposed to the elements but in 30 minutes Rusty will look better. :)

The right brake does have some stopping ability but the left brake will lock and spin the tractor in place but I am glad I did not have my hearing aids in. :) At least this 3600 back plates are rusty unlike the oil soaked ones that came on the 3000 so the rear axle seals are not leaking yet. Hopeful the Lucas below will work its magic like it has done before especially on the old backhoe but before the rear seals fail in this 3600. The rubber in the 3600 is 14 years newer than in the 1966 3000 which is a plus.

Hydraulic Oil Booster & Stop Leak

Last edited:
Before church this morning I got the used wheels that I cleaned up last night well primed with Rust-Oleum Farm & Implement Gray Primer. So far I like it and am considering going ahead and use this on Rusty's sheet metal to protect the OSPRO coating until I get around to using the official Ford blue.

Rust-Oleum Specialty Farm & Implement Gray Primer, 12 oz. Spray at Tractor Supply Co.

Some reason I can not get this link to open. I noticed tonight Home Depot has it less than $4 a can in cases of 6 cans.

Late today I removed the right side main bracing strut running from mid tractor to the front axle to get it straighten since the tractor will be parked for a few days of rain. :(

While I have these parts off it would be a nice time to get them oil free and prime and paint them blue. Not sure that will happen. We did use Rusty yesterday to bring the 7' Bush Hog brand finish mower up to the house and park it by the shop door and removed the 8 brass gauge wheel bushings. Even with the correct size bushing remover/driver set it still was a hard job that took longer than I expected. It is good to have that done because they were wearing very thin in the two major wear point areas. The BH sourced bronze bushings were about $10 each and the old ones lasted 12 years but we do not know the usage but it did have new like blades and a very dry and hard belt that did last for a day of hard running.

Last edited:
Pat's Easy Change Hitch Cat 1 to Cat 2 system came today for the 3600. We already have Cat 2 to Cat2 hitch systems for the 3000 Ford and 265 MF.

The 4" extension feature of these hitches will permit the use of the 7' Bush Hog brand finish mower without gauge wheels and PTO shift being too close to the tractor.

Had to drain the water out of the radiator and block because of snow/freeze warnings for Friday and Saturday. After that I will refill with fresh water and add the Prestone bottle of radiator flush based on current temperature forecast.

The used set of front wheels are painted back ford white and as soon as they cure a bit I have a set of used tires to mount. Using the 7' finish mower will be its first test to learn the condition of Rusty.

/ Bought Rusty a 3600 Ford on Craigslist #6  
Yesterday I picked up two used front wheels and tires that were to have come off of a 3930 I think but they are 15" 7.50's but the height are equal to the 6.50 x 16 on old John Deere bent up rims. One had a rotten tube and in the process of them getting tossed around on valve stem started leaking so I decided to get two new tubes. When I said I was going to clean off the rust and paint them the shop owner just removed them from the rims so I came home with just the wheels. He as a set of used tires the same size that are much better tread wise so I may go back on with his set.

Getting started on this project is hard because so many things are to be done. :)

Since I wanted to drive it some and hear it run I decided to start on flushing the radiator and block so I worked on both drains and got some flow started. Ran it enough to get the engine warm with just plain water in it ran if for a while. Since our well water has a ph of about 5.5 I am leaving it in overnight because it will bring out some crud tomorrow when I flush it again. After the drain downs start staying clear I will do a refill and add the Prestone 6 hour cleaner that I have used for many years to clean up old cooling systems.

Both new radiator hoses came today so I may put them on soon or I may just run water with conditioner this summer in case I take the nose off to replace the front axle bushing and pin. The pin seems OK but the bushing has slipped some over the years so I will just replace both. When I do that I hope to paint my way out when going back together if the old hoses do not fail first.

Best Rust Converters (Mar. 218) - Buyer痴 Guide and Reviews

I have been using Skyco OSPHO rust reformer to spray on buckets and equipment in general. 3-4 years ago I bought a case of 4 gallon jugs and still have 2.5 gallons. By flashlight I did the underside of the hood, top of head, but my main goal was the battery rack tray so I can paint it maybe before the cold rain gets here.

The ability to turn heavy rust into a protective coating that is very paintable appeals to me. I will wash up the 'new' front wheels and Skyco OSPHO them before I paint them inside and out can will work to get tires with new tubes mounted first of next week. If the weather works with me I will get the entire skin covered with the Skyco OSPHO to stop and resolve current rust. It does not last very long if exposed to the elements but in 30 minutes Rusty will look better. :)

The right brake does have some stopping ability but the left brake will lock and spin the tractor in place but I am glad I did not have my hearing aids in. :) At least this 3600 back plates are rusty unlike the oil soaked ones that came on the 3000 so the rear axle seals are not leaking yet. Hopeful the Lucas below will work its magic like it has done before especially on the old backhoe but before the rear seals fail in this 3600. The rubber in the 3600 is 14 years newer than in the 1966 3000 which is a plus.

Hydraulic Oil Booster & Stop Leak

I have been using OSPHO (Phosphoric acid) as a machinery, rusty metal, prep for many years.
I am surprised at the fact that it is not more commonly known/used.
It is the perfect product for preparing rusty metal, and usually around $30 per gallon.

I have been using OSPHO (Phosphoric acid) as a machinery, rusty metal, prep for many years.
I am surprised at the fact that it is not more commonly known/used.
It is the perfect product for preparing rusty metal, and usually around $30 per gallon.

That is about what I paid because it was not much more than two quart bottles at our True Value hardware store.

Found the below tonight.

Paint not sticking to Ospho
What they say about removing the hard resulting coating was news to me and not sure why they are not going with the factory instructions below.

Ospho

Below they are talking about rewetting and then rinse with water and blow dry. It sounds like this is on metal that is to become an auto finish so I may try that on the hood skin.

Both the 3000 and 3600 had very corroded battery trays and both I did a heavy coat of OSPHO. Because I preheated by running the engine 15-20 minutes it dried quickly then I spray painted with black Rustoleum can of paint and the paint is saying on it seems.

Today my Infratech SRU1615 paint drying system came and I got it out of the box and brought the instructions into the house and been googling more about the technology of medium infrared paint drying systems. If it can take a 36 hour cure time to 36 minute cure time I will be impressed.

Model SRU-1615 - Infratech Official Site

Made some progress in learning how use the Infratech paint drying system on my 'new' 1978 front rims in warm to snowing weather in an otherwise unheated 12x28 workshop. Clearly many factors can impact times needed for drying. While it is a very basic low cost solution I know it is going to be awesome for our Rusty project. I hope to try it to dry Ospho coating as well.

Today I took the fresh painted 1978 front wheels to the tire shop where they mounted an used set of 7.50 x 15 Goodyear tires with new tubes and I am happy they turned out OK. They are a major improvement over the old bent up JD front wheels that came on the 3600. The shop that redid the rear wheel seals on the 3000 straighten the radial arms on the 3600 and I went by an picked them after work so now I can get it driveable again.

While I do not have any photos to post yet I did get 30 minutes in the field with the finish mower. I need to reposition the lower 3PH pins on the finish mower and tweat the Pat's hitch install. PTO and clutch engaging got smoother. I was able to read the hours after I guess the engine heat drove out some of the moisture on the plastic face. It is reading 2288 hours so that matches the sales write up blip. The oil filter that I replaced stated it was changed at 2240 hours and and the label was well faded but the engine oil was not jet black like most the Fords I looked at. I am guessing the tractor saw little use the last few years and he said for the last 32 years he changed the engine oil every 100 hours. The hydraulic oil filter was changed at 2250 hours so we may be OK on the transmission and rear end fluids for a while.

I think the 3600 is going to be a keeper. Over time I will find some nicer rear wheels and work on addressing seeps and leaks.