Bought a Wallenstein chipper

/ Bought a Wallenstein chipper #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I stumbled into a used Wallenstein BX-60 chipper in nearly new condition for a good price and bought it. Good chipper?

/ Bought a Wallenstein chipper #2  
Wallenstein are great chippers. I've had a BX-42 for 7 - 8 years. Never a problem, easy to maintain.

/ Bought a Wallenstein chipper #3  
Wallenstein makes very nice equipment. I think you'll be happy with that chipper. Be warned, they (and every other brand of self feed chipper) will work you into the ground!

/ Bought a Wallenstein chipper #5  
They are great, I have a BX-42.

/ Bought a Wallenstein chipper
Great comments and thank you for the testimonial. This Wallenstein is huge and at 6" capacity should easily do my misc limbs. Wallenstein sure does seem to be the best of the bunch and is built like a tank. Glad I bought it.

/ Bought a Wallenstein chipper #7  
I've had two Wally chippers - BX42S and now BX62S. Both were/are fantastic. The 6" capacity of the 62S works my fat azz to the bone. I maintain my pine forrest out here. That means thinning & chipping the stands of young pines. Every spring - identify, fell, drag & chip upwards of 900 small( 6" or less, on the butt ) pines. This will usually take me a month. Green pines chip easily. Dragging a 6" x 30' pine - not so easy or fun. Slowly but surely I'm turning my 80 into fields of pine chips.

What will you be running it on - M7040? If so - you will never be able to keep up with the speed of that 60s. It will work you til you drop.

I upgraded to the BX60s when I bought my new Kubota M6040 in 2009. After nine years and chipping all those young pines - I still haven't had to sharpen or reverse the cutting blades. Maintenance - grease the two zerks every ten hours or so - clean out the cutting chamber when you are done chipping - coat the four chipper blades with some heavy grease when it's put up for the season.

My best suggestion - keep it clean. Try hard not to drag whatever you're going to chip thru the dirt and mud. It doesn't do your hunting knife any good to try to cut a rock - it won't do your chipper blades any good to cut dirt & mud.

Good advice oosik.
I know the drill on keeping things clean and no dirt will be on any wood. I've chipped before. I'm thinking to run on an M7040 or maybe MX5100. Either would be fine and I'm only chipping branches that will max out at maybe 3" on the butt. Maybe some bigger ones mixed in.

The chipper will allow me to work at my leisure as well as over the summer rather than trying to fit everything into a four week window. I had been burning huge piles but on flat ground with corn and soybeans so the risk of a field fire is too great. Plus it's too much handling of the wood from cutting and loading to unloading and burning plus tending the inferno. Chips are much easier to handle. I can't cut and burn on one place but have to haul to a burn pile. Every square inch here is farmed.

The Wallenstein chipper name is new to me but is really highly regarded and I can't find a single negative complaint. It must be one heck of a chipper. I paid $1500 for this one and it's is 99% condition with very little use. I think I did OK?

/ Bought a Wallenstein chipper #9  
Well, I think you better make yourself scarce. They will find you - - you STOLE it. I just check my Owner Manual that has the sales receipt.

Purchased brand new one year AFTER the M6040. 2010 and for $4500.

I do have a dumb question on this. When operating the BX60, do I set the chipper on the ground when using it or do I leave it off the ground maybe a foot and supported by the 3pt arms? I Suppose I could also set it on a pallet when chipping.

Held off the ground keeps the PTO shaft straighter while sitting the unit on the ground angles it more. What's the correct way to chip?