Bought a couple of surplus generators

/ Bought a couple of surplus generators #21  
Yeah, our old FADAC computers (from the 1950's) required 400 Hz. Everything else used standard single phase 60Hz. Every unit had to pack around two generators. The Military Way!

Interestingly enough, the same computers were used in the classroom via some kind of inverter, which apparently couldn't be taken to the field. I suspect they have handheld systems to do the same thing today. Although, thinking about it, maybe not.... ;)

/ Bought a couple of surplus generators
Just to clarify for anyone bidding on generators
Any MEP generator that has a 1 in the second digit is a 400hz unit e.g. MEP-813A or MEP-113A. You want to stay away from these unless you get them for parts or you are only planning to run resistive loads such as electric heaters. Electric heaters don't care about HZ everything else does. There is a lot of stuff to look out for, a great resource in the generator forum on steelsoldiers.com

If bidding on govplanet, take your time and look at the pictures closely. Just because they post a 15 second video of the unit running does not mean it will need no work. Most of the units will need a little love to be 100%. If you have the patience and skill to repair you can end up with a great generator at a good price. Some of the units go for stupid money and the good deals are getting harder to find. However parts are usually pretty easy to find. I was MOS 52D in the Army so I have training on these units (for the most part) even though they are after my time :)

I got lucky with mine, For some reason it seemed everyone bid on the other gens in the auction but left mine alone. Got me worried that I missed something in the pics, but again I got lucky.

Most are 3ph. The mep802 and 803 are 240v 1ph and switchable to 3ph. The useless ones are 400hz and only really share a engine with these 802/3 models.
3ph only ones are ok to use if you know what you are doing. You can get a spider box to break out the phases. Spider boxes can be expensive but well worth it if you use the generator a lot.

Yeah, our old FADAC computers (from the 1950's) required 400 Hz. Everything else used standard single phase 60Hz. Every unit had to pack around two generators. The Military Way!

Interestingly enough, the same computers were used in the classroom via some kind of inverter, which apparently couldn't be taken to the field. I suspect they have handheld systems to do the same thing today. Although, thinking about it, maybe not.... ;)
Yup I was in FA. Had 2 15kw 400hz units for the fire control trucks and everything else was 3kw or 5kw 60hz. Pretty sure the firecontrol trucks were that old when I was in in the 80's-90's :) It was ancient stuff but it worked great, we were 2 rounds to target (usually). Unless we used copperhead then it was first hit. M712 Copperhead - Wikipedia

/ Bought a couple of surplus generators #25  
Copperheads are way after my time. Cool ordinance though...
13E here.
Shot, Over...

/ Bought a couple of surplus generators #26  
Good on you for the pick up :)
My son and I scored 2 MEP-003's several years ago. 10kw diesels. They are built like tanks and weigh 1000+ lbs

Like yours they came on tilt trailers and had been completely refurbed then put in a warehouse where they were eventually auctioned from (FT Meade in MD). My son lives not too far from Meade so he went and inspected the lot of 29 or so that were up for auction.

We picked out 6 to bid on, looking for 1 each. We got 'em. He trailered mine behind his pick up to me in CT. Only .75 hours on the clock. I sold the trailer. Now has about 300 and has been sitting in my garage all this time. It easily puts out 10kw continuously. There is a youtube video showing one running for hours at 14kw.

Now that we are getting ready to move I'm looking to sell it.