Boom Pole V2.0

/ Boom Pole V2.0 #1  

RobJ

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2500
Ok so nothing else to do on a Saturday. Found some 3" pipe and went after it. Top strap is a little higher and thicker(1/2"x3/4"), more support, etc. What do yo uthink RonMar?

I don't want to upgrade to version 3.0. :) This one is getting heavier. You can also see where I modded the lift arm connection. So my arms should be able to go all the way to the ground. I just sort of hacked in the cut outs but had a little T left over and welded it on for a trailer hitch.

Rob

Attachments

• boom01.JPG
    boom01.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,372
  • boom2.JPG
    boom2.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,076
   / Boom Pole V2.0 #2  
The boom looks great. You could save a bunch of weight and make a stronger lower frame. Triangles are stronger than rectangles. Your lower frame is basically two rectangles of rectangular box tube placed side by side. All the weight of the boom is being supported by the two horizontal tubes in shear(weakest mode) and they are on their sides which is their thinnest/weakest axis. With some weight on the boom, you can probably see the horizontal pieces bend. You could have a lighter and stronger structure by using 3 pieces of the same tube and make a triangle. One cross tube between the lift arms and two uprights connecting from the end of the cross tube to a point in the middle where the boom attaches. The weight from the boom would be sent down the two triangle uprights in compression(stronger mode than shear) and the spreading force applied at the end of these uprights would be contained by the crossbar in tension(strongest of the modes). Remember triangles are our friends:)

Attachments

• aframe.bmp
    79.5 KB · Views: 806
   / Boom Pole V2.0 #3  
i thought the same exact thing.

something along these lines would have saved weight and been stronger overall.

boom_pole.jpg

/ Boom Pole V2.0 #4  
Yep, great looking pole though!!! I think now the pole is probably three times as strong as the bracket. I think you'll get it the third time!!! Hahahahaha!!!

/ Boom Pole V2.0 #5  
sounds like you need to tweak it just a bit more Rob -- keep at it -- I'm learning from this and I'd bet so are others - when you get yours all done .... it'll be time to build mine..... errr....ever come to Angleton? ....;) :rolleyes:

/ Boom Pole V2.0 #6  
mikim said:
sounds like you need to tweak it just a bit more Rob -- keep at it -- I'm learning from this and I'd bet so are others - when you get yours all done .... it'll be time to build mine..... errr....ever come to Angleton? ....;) :rolleyes:

Yep, I certainly am. I really like the pole design with maybe the exception of the top link tractor end. I think I would maybe use a piece of healthy flatbar welded into the smashed end of the pole with a hole in the bar?? Any other ideas?? :)

/ Boom Pole V2.0 #7  
ya take some flat plate (3/8 or better) cut a slot in the end of the pipe slip the 4x6" plate into the slot and weld it up.

something like

boom_pole_1.jpg

/ Boom Pole V2.0
OK YOU GUYS JUST STOP IT!!! :) :) :) (IE...kidding).

It's bad enough when my NOT tractor savy wife comes out and says "you building another boom pole?" I assure you boom pole is NOT something that rolls off her tongue daily.

Ron... Thought about using the triangle but this was just 2 darn easy. the 1x2 tubing is actually 12ga I think, It's not 16ga. In my other test lifts I didn't see any stress here. But I have more tubing and another free Saturday comming up so who knows. :)

schmism.. Same as Ron, actually I liked the KK (TSC) boom pole because it used a simple piece of angle for the cross piece with welded on links. If this one works out the double as a trailer hitch is a bonus..my current trailer mover is on sort of a utility 4x4x3/8" piece of tubing. I use the tubing to hold a middle buster, cultivators, subsoilers, etc. It much heavier. This is an upgrade.

ovrszd...and then a V4.0, 5.0, ........

mikim... Angelton? From time to time. My parents sold their beachhouse and I'm up in Spring now. But since I've got the welder, bring it up and we'll put something together!! Of course my tractor and all the fun stuff is in east Texas....Elkhart.

ovrszd...#2...Actually the "no top link" design is working out well. And while I was looking around yesterday I noticed that if you have a PTO post hole digger? You have half the boom pole already made. Because the PTO diggers I saw did not use a top link. So in that case all you need is a pole.

schmism...#2 ....call me lazy I guess. Came this close to doing that but didn't feel like getting hotter anymore. With our heat and humidity, cutting and welding is a watersport for a sweater like me. When my son was helping me he asked once "is that sweat?". Yep...sweat was running off the helment in a stream. So I decided enough heat for a day!! I fell asleep watching NASCAR...:)

Thanks for the comments gentlemen!

Rob

/ Boom Pole V2.0 #9  
I like this thread, How much are you trying to lift and at what distance?
I made one and I can lift about 400 pounds straight and 10 feet out horizontal and I want more, like we all do. With a total height of around 19 feet counting the arms
Pictures in gallery here, link below
Jim

/ Boom Pole V2.0 #10  
Of course my tractor and all the fun stuff is in east Texas....
Like me -- all my fun stuff is 3 hrs away in Bastrop county...if I do anything at home I don't get to see if it works til the next weekend I go up. Then if I need to modify - take it home, modify, and wait for the next trip....... makes for some long projects. Tools are at home, tractor & equipment in the country. Now that I'm getting a barn - maybe I'll start leaving tools there.