bodywork sheetmetal work ?

/ bodywork sheetmetal work ? #1  

Renze

Elite Member
Tractor
Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718
Does anyone have some good tips on bodywork sheetmetal working ?
I need to weld some pieces into the mudguards of my old 3011 but i'd better ask here first, before i try to make custom shop press dies...

I need two rounded edges, thats not so hard to bend over a piece of wood. But it also needs a 180ー folded edge, which isnt in a straight line but also a curve on the outer edge of the mudguard.

Whats the best practice ? What tools do i need, are those expensive, and if so, what can i use as a substitute ?

/ bodywork sheetmetal work ? #2  
what's the quantity?

for a few it would be easier and far cheaper to braze tubing or rod to the edge and dress it up

/ bodywork sheetmetal work ?
If i wanted an edge made of rod, i'd buy Ursus mudguards, which are a bolt-on fit (those Polish copied everything the czechs built) but dont look the same, the flange edges are different, the reinforcements pressed into the wings are different.

I want to do an original rebuild. I have replaced every part that has more than 10% wear on it, so it will last another 43 years. It would not make sense to get cheap on the mudguards... ;)

Also, since original mudguards arent available anymore, i suppose i can sell these ready to weld-on patches to others, because its allways the rear edges of the mudguards that rot away.

I'd just like some advice from some folks that have done some bodywork, and get their advice about the basic do's and donts and what basic tools i'd better get for the job.
Buying tools isnt an issue for me when i have a project i need them for, because its a lot easier to find projects for the tools you have, than to buy tools for the projects you have... ;)

/ bodywork sheetmetal work ? #4  
I appreciate you desire to learn, and to do this yourself.

But, I would have to write a book just to discuss basics.

There is so much to learn, and so many different way to achieve the same result. Much of it is personal preference.

You really need to learn this kind of work in a hands on environment.

May I suggest you try a vocational school. Or, check with shops in your area to maybe if your lucky, you can find a retired guy who will tutor you?

/ bodywork sheetmetal work ? #5  
some pics or sketches of what you're trying to achieve would help

/ bodywork sheetmetal work ?
May I suggest you try a vocational school. Or, check with shops in your area to maybe if your lucky, you can find a retired guy who will tutor you?
I'm not going to elaborate on the subject, but i have an allergy for teachers. I'd rather just learn from knowledgeable people... :p
And the local ag dealer already complains last summer, that when i watch him doing it, he has only one chance of earning money on me because next time i'll do it myself.. Dont know if the other shops want to give away their trade :)

I cant get pictures off my cellphone because the USB bluetooth stick is gone..

===edit: i sketched some in mspaint, see attached file====

Anyways, the rear fenders are not just shells but full wings, they are made of a vertical shell piece, which is basically intact (the pieces that have rust bellies are flat, so there is no special technique involved in welding straight flat patches into it) and an arched piece that covers the wheel.
On the rear edge it is rusted. You can think of it as a motorcycle mudguard with a flat piece in the middle, and radii on the sides. Next to that, the very outer tips are bent 180 degrees so there is no sharp edge.

The main thing is, how do i keep the preformed strip of metal in shape, when i hammer the folded edge onto it ? or should i make the folded edge first, and then bend the entire piece into the transverse direction of the mudguard ?

Attachments

• mudguard patch.jpg
    mudguard patch.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
   / bodywork sheetmetal work ? #7  
if the folds are flat, I would make that first then form the fender.

if you can clamp the form between two pieces of steel say at least 3/8' and bevel the inside piece of steel you could start hammering it over the beveled edge

/ bodywork sheetmetal work ? #8  
Metal working is an art form. Some people have the knack and others don't. You have to be able to visualize the the shape of the piece as you are forming it. It is hard for any one to explain how to do it. Trial and error is probably the best teacher. I haven't looked but there are probably some vids on youtube that will give you some ideas.
Bill

/ bodywork sheetmetal work ? #9  
Their exists a tool calles a shrinker that does what you want.
It is like two hardened steel jaws that grab and pull the metal thereby creating a rounded corner in a folded piece of flat sheet.
You'd basically make the major fold over and then using the shrinker pull the metal to create the rounded corners in the folded metal.

I had one and the learning curve was easy.
Worked best on aluminum and brass but OK on steel.