Oil & Fuel bobcats spendy hyd fluid

/ bobcats spendy hyd fluid #21  
Hey gumshu, I also have an 09 Bobcat 235 and have similar problems...my oil cooler leaks(have to spray wash it after 5-10 hours) Did you say Bobcat has changed them and is it a warranty issue. If not I suppose I should just buy one and install it as I'm nearing my 400 hours service. I have also had nothing but problems with the loader hydraulic hoses leaking, had to replace all four...now the female receiver hydraulic couplers(under the tractor) are leaking...very poor design to have them in one of the dirtiest places on a tractor. I also had the battery acid issue...guess I'll get a sealed one, sounds like that fixed your problem . Shifting is a bit sticky, but workable. Now I need to replace the hydro fluid and you're saying there is other fluid that will work for less money? Guess I'll wait for the 400 hour change as I'm only down between 'full' and 'add'. Great forum...nice to know the problems I'm having aren't just with my tractor. Great unit even with the little problems. Only thing else I find had to find and the belly mower blades for the 66" cutting deck!
Hi Retaf. According to some of the posts on this forum, some owners have the newly designed oil cooler. I imagine that if leaks occur within the warrantee time frame, there should not be an issue. However, I'm surprised that Bobcat hasn't issued a recall on this.

I'm using the Super tech Heavy duty universal fluid sold at Wal Mart... I paid about 90 bucks for two five gallon containers with easy pour spouts. I poured the fluid into a 1 gallon juice container and then into the tractor using a funnel.

I also had a battery acid leak. I replaced the battery with a sealed Sears Die Hard. If your hoses are leaking you may want to try using reusable hose fittings from this site DiscountHydraulicHose.com

/ bobcats spendy hyd fluid #23  
I believe he is referring to the fluid available from Tractor Supply Co. It's $40/5gl.

So the real question is, if I go with the cheaper TSC or Wal-Mart stuff, am I going to regret it later? Is the OEM stuff really that much better, or is it just marked up because it's from a dealer? If it is better, is it better "enough" to matter, or is it going to be the (arguably negligible?) difference between 10000 hours and 10500 hours on the engine?

/ bobcats spendy hyd fluid #25  
Hi pwright,
Thanks for the information and the link,
Jim
I was going to use the Travelers Brand, but Tractor Supply was closed at the time, so I bought the Wal Mart brand for a little more. I haven't heard any negative reviews about either.

/ bobcats spendy hyd fluid #26  
So the real question is, if I go with the cheaper TSC or Wal-Mart stuff, am I going to regret it later? Is the OEM stuff really that much better, or is it just marked up because it's from a dealer? If it is better, is it better "enough" to matter, or is it going to be the (arguably negligible?) difference between 10000 hours and 10500 hours on the engine?

So here is the back label where it indicates what it is recommended for with the equivalent manufacturer part numbers. Sorry about the wonky focus.

TravellerUniversalTractorFluid.jpg

/ bobcats spendy hyd fluid #27  
I don't remember the specs on the Phillips 66, but I bought it from a oil guy I trust who said he sells it to all the rental places in town. He said it was great stuff. I was not super cheap as I remember. I think it was about $65 for 5 gal. That being said, I think it is all OK. Some hydraulic systems work just fine on motor oil. That is how they were designed. I just don't think it is rocket science.

/ bobcats spendy hyd fluid #28  
So here is the back label where it indicates what it is recommended for with the equivalent manufacturer part numbers. Sorry about the wonky focus.

View attachment 277236
Yeah... the specs on the Wal-Mart Super tech look the same. I'm not buying the Bobcat brand for twice the money.

/ bobcats spendy hyd fluid #29  
Hi messmaker,
Thanks for the information. I agree it is not rocket science, I remember on a D2 cat we used for cultivating our orchards when I was you all we used was motor oil and it worked just fine.

/ bobcats spendy hyd fluid #30  
I have very little difficulty shifting ranges, its not as smooth as a automobile gear tranny, but rocking the treadle does the trick for me