Bobcat zt3500 vs Scag Patriot

/ Bobcat zt3500 vs Scag Patriot #1  

dear.chap

Tractor
Toro
I am looking to replace my current 50" Toro Timecutter zero turn with something a little bit more beefier. The Toro is fine but it not able to take the hammering of my yard(3 acres). I've heard good things about pretty much all commercial mowers and my neighbors have a Bobcat and a Scag and both of them swear by it. I've been looking at the Bobcat and Scag models and pretty much confused by what the differences are(if any). I wanted a 54" deck but none of the models have that. They have 52" and then next step up is 60/61". My current mowing time with the Toro is 2 hrs and with my neighbor's 61" Scag its usually down to around 1 hr. My question is whether the 52" deck is sufficient or should I just splurge for the 60". ?

/ Bobcat zt3500 vs Scag Patriot #2  
Welcome to the site from Missouri.

I’d go with the bigger deck as long as your yard doesn’t have many berms or dips or valleys where a bigger deck can cause scalping. Or trees where it can’t get between.

Otherwise, reduced mowing time is a plus.

I have a Bad Boy and it’s been great. It is very beefy and sturdy. No issues. I’ve heard good things about Scag - just never owned one.

Good luck on your decision. My only other advice is find a model where you can do the maintenance easily - changing oil, filters and removing blades.

MoKelly

/ Bobcat zt3500 vs Scag Patriot #3  
Looks like hydros are the same zt3400 on both. And engine options are probably the same. So that eliminates 90% of potential differences.

Pretty much just leaves ergonomics and deck/spindle design.

I cannot comment on either other than scag is pretty well known for having some of the best spindle designs