Comparison Bobcat CT 230 vs. CT235

/ Bobcat CT 230 vs. CT235 #1  

Nlight

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT235
This is my first post.
I put money down yesterday on a Bobcat 230. I almost went with a JD 3032E, but the many options included with the Bobcat helped make the decision. My question is horsepower. I will be using the tractor for box blading, rough and finish mowing, post holes, light loader work and rear snow blowing. Please share opinions on the 230 (22 PTO hp vs the 235 @ 26.5 PTO hp). The extra cost for the CT235 would be $750. I'd prefer to spend the money on attachments.
Thanks.

/ Bobcat CT 230 vs. CT235 #2  
The 230 will get the job done, the 235 will get it done easier. $750 is a great price difference. It is often much more than that. I would get the hp and hold off on an implement or 2. Easy to get an implement later, not so easy to get more hp later.

Just my opinion, good luck with your decision. ;)

/ Bobcat CT 230 vs. CT235 #3  
I have a CT230 and use my for over 1000' of gravel drive, snow removal, rough mowing, tree planting, tilling, cultivating, fork lifting, etc. It has done everything I wanted it to on our 17 acres. Just got off the machine for lunch and I have 277 hrs on it now.

/ Bobcat CT 230 vs. CT235 #4  
as you can see, it is a hard choice to make.
Everyone you ask will have their own opinion.

In this case, I agree with Brian, there have been a few people who have posted that they wished they had a little more HP, so far I have never read a post wishing for less.......

/ Bobcat CT 230 vs. CT235 #5  
I have a CK30 HST (CT230) and would jump all over the extra hp, especially for that price. The CT230 will get it all done, but there will times you need to jump down to low instead of mid range while using the box blade. I notice a serious lack of hp anytime I try and used high range, mostly to go to a neighbors. With loaded tires and a 1200lbs backhoe, high range becomes almost useless with only the slightest incline, even on a paved road. You'll need the extra hp to use PTO implements if there's any incline unless you're willing to work in low range.

Over the life of the tractor, you'll have long forgotten about the $750, but you'll use the extra hp every day. You'll also get most or all of it back when you sell or trade. I don't think this tractor should be made with anything less than 35hp, it's just too heavy.

/ Bobcat CT 230 vs. CT235
Guys, Thanks for sharing this information.
I talked to the dealer and have changed the order to the CT235. If we had done this by voting the 235 would have won but after reading your opinions, and first hand experiences I feel confident it is the correct way to go. Kiotiken tipped the scales when he commented about grades, I live on a hill with no shortage of hilly terrain.
Thanks again and I will post a picture after the tractor is delivered the first week in May.:)
Allen

/ Bobcat CT 230 vs. CT235 #7  
Congratulations and I truly think you made the right decision. Now I'm jealous :laughing:

/ Bobcat CT 230 vs. CT235 #8  
Congratulations and I truly think you made the right decision. Now I'm jealous :laughing:

For that price difference, I think you made a wise decision. I am very happy with my CT230. No complaints, but if given the change again, I'd go ahead and get the CT235.

/ Bobcat CT 230 vs. CT235 #9  
I think the ct235 is the sweet spot in the line. You did well.

/ Bobcat CT 230 vs. CT235 #10  
I have a CT 225 with claimed 19.5 pto hp. There are times I wish the engine was a little weaker, it has spun the tires on occasion. (this is just for your NEVER post lilranch). Now you have to say you've never seen a "serious" post where someone wanted less horsepower. In my near 50 years on tractors, I've never once thought "I wish this engine has a little less snort in it". :)