Mowing bobcat 225

/ bobcat 225 #11  
Wow, getting the extra set of tires and rims was great. That's over a 1k add-on. Having both would be the perfect way to go. I chose the Ind tires (R4) to split the difference. Not to bad on grass and not to bad in snow but they'll pack up in sticky mud. I do need chains when Winter settles in and things start to ice up. Pushing a foot or better of snow does need some traction.

/ bobcat 225 #12  
Timrpremier;

To answer your question, I bought a finish mower 10 years ago. At that time I had a Kubota 16 hp tractor. The finish mower was rated 15 to 25 hp and weighed 550 lbs. ( a real heavy well built puppy!). My Kubota couldn't even lift it off the ground but it pulled it all those years without problem and most important, without breaking the tractor. (Kubota recently replaced with my Bobcat CT 235)

Over the years and while mowing the property I hit numerous rocks, bottomed out, you know how this goes when developing your property. As time passed, trees were trimmed up about 8ft., the small ones were taken out, the dips and doodles were filled with horse manure (we have 10 horses), lots of grass seed, and well, 14 years later I have a Park, at least that is what people tell me.

If you plan on just keeping the grass down then anything other than a finish mower will be fine, however, if you want it to look great (like a golf course)and want to spend the time then a finish mower may be better suited to your needs.

I opted for a heavy duty rear discharge finish mower, spent the bucks and it paid off. I nailed a crap load of rocks etc and no real damage to the mower. I sharpened the blades a couple of years ago and they hardly had any damage and I found that hard to believe considering what I had put it through in the first few years. I no longer hit anything due to the filling etc.

Tire tracks, yes you can see them a bit with the turfs but WAY better than Ag tires. By the way, mow your lawn with a push mower and you can also see wheel tracks, although only 1 inch wide. I prefer sitting on my rear using the tractor.

I bought a real heavy duty 5 ft finish mower knowing that I would eventually do what I did with the property. I am however a slave to the land,, but I enyoy it and I am retired!

Fred

/ bobcat 225 #13  
Fred it correct, finish mower is a good choice, i have just about 20 acres i mow. I use a flail mower does a good job for me. its not as refined as a finish mover but does a much nicer job than a brush hog.

/ bobcat 225
Fred it correct, finish mower is a good choice, i have just about 20 acres i mow. I use a flail mower does a good job for me. its not as refined as a finish mover but does a much nicer job than a brush hog.

Powergod what type of knives do you have on your flail mower? Are they shaped like a Y or a T? Because from what i understand there are different types of cutting knives?

/ bobcat 225 #15  
I have the Y shaped knives

/ bobcat 225 #16  
I have a 225 with a King Kutter 5 ft. Finishing mower and I have never had any issues with ruts in my yard. I have industrial tires.

/ bobcat 225
so a king cut thats a 3pt? or a mid mount? While looking at tractors im also debating the after market mower or a bobcat brand name mid mount mower. Just woundering how you like that mower?

/ bobcat 225 #18  
so a king cut thats a 3pt? or a mid mount? While looking at tractors im also debating the after market mower or a bobcat brand name mid mount mower. Just woundering how you like that mower?

The midmounts have issues as well, from what I understand there is not much "lift clearance" on them and there is always the issue of the belly mower being a pain to remove and then re hook up the mount and the belt if you are going to take it off

If I ever do start to use mine as a mower I would only consider a 3ph finish mower

/ bobcat 225 #19  
There is no belt that needs to be hooked up on the mid mount mower. It is a drive shaft.

/ bobcat 225 #20  
My King Kutter is a 3 point. It works great, cuts clean, and gets the job done quickly. I only mow about 2 acres and I get it Doberman in about 30 minutes.