Mowing bobcat 225

/ bobcat 225 #1  

timrpremier

As i have read many threads on tbn talking about the bobcat 225 and rutting up the lawn while mowing. I have yet to actually read an answer to it. I live in central wisconsin. I have 2 acres of lawn to mow with another possible to acres to start mowing with this tractor upgrade. But to all you bobcat 225, 230, or 235 owners do you have any problems with rutting up the yard using either belly and/or 3pt mowers. Let me know.. i guess thats my biggest concern about stepping up from the lesser weight machines. If i knew that wouldnt be a problem then its a no brainer. But would like to hear what some of you guys have experienced. Thanks for you help

timrpremier

/ bobcat 225 #2  
Are you just using the tractor to mow?
Will there be a loader on the machine?
Are you going to have the rear tires loaded?

/ bobcat 225 #3  
Your soil would make a difference too. I'm not familiar with what it's like in Wisconsin and in your area. My soil has a good bit of clay in it and the tractor does fine as long as it's not after an average rain.
What type of tires were you thinking, Ag, Ind, or turf?
A little more info and the members can give you a better answer because there are some variables.

/ bobcat 225 #4  
I mow approx. 10 acres using a CT235 and rear discharge 3 point finish mower.

I have turf tires (filled only with air) and I have absolutely no problems with the tractor messing up the grass. It works perfectly.

There have been times I even mowed when it was a little damp and it was fine.

For me, turf tires were a great decision. I only do occasional non-mowing work like moving rock and mulch.

MoKelly

/ bobcat 225 #5  
I have filled GP tires on my 235 and if there is any real moisture in the ground I stay off of the grass.
It will rut the lawn even just going straight

Clay and muck soil here

Last edited:
   / bobcat 225 #6  
I think as someone else mentioned, your soil is going to have a lot to do with your situation. I live in IN and my soil is a little sandy so it drains pretty well. I have not had any issues making ruts with my 230. These machines outweigh a lot of the other brands though which has is benefits for certain types of work.

I have GP tires on mine and will say that the grass in my tire tracks gets mashed down a little and doesn't look as nice as the rest when cut with my 3pt finish mower. I am not going for yard of the year though so it does not bother me. I mow about 4 acres.

/ bobcat 225
thanks for you help. I would have the intentions on having a loader for the tractor but i would try to only have the loader on for the times when i need it. I thought i would have to do this for the simple reason the tractor weighs enough i wouldnt want anymore weight then i have to have while mowing. Also i was thinking going with the R4's which i believe are the GP as you guys are mentioning. I dont think i would have them filled for the same reason. Just dont want the extra weight on the grass while mowing. Where i am in wisconsin it is a lot of clay. I wanted to have the dealer bring one out so i could try it out but we just got 2 inches of snow and the ground froze hard within the last week and a half. so i will probly have to wait till spring to try it. You guys that dont have much for problems, is any of your soils clay? I am hoping that some of the low spots i have in my lawn (4 years ago it was a corn field) i will be able to level out and keep from getting so wet with the tractor. Hopefully helping when i mow over it. My next question for you guys as far as mowers with your bobcats have you ever used flail mowers? I have read a lot of threads on here about flail mowers and that they actually work well as finish mowers. Just woundering if any bobcat guys have tried them yet. Thanks

/ bobcat 225 #8  
I have a CK25 with loaded tires and a loader. I don't mow with it, but when it's wet it can rut the lawn. My soil has a lot of red clay and can get real soft toward the end of winter after prolonged wet spells. More importantly, I used it in my vegetable garden to work an adjoining bank and it really compacted the garden soil.

So, if you only have four acres to mow, and mowing is the primary use for the tractor, then I'd go with something lighter in weight with maximum HP, like maybe a Kubota B3030 or a JD 2520. With the BCs, you might be alright, if you don't load the tires and don't carry any extra weight as in a loader or such. But, these machines aren't ideal mowers. Great for utility work, ground engagement, and bush hogging, but there are better options for finish mowing.

/ bobcat 225 #9  
I have a CT 235 and use a 5 ft. 3 pt hitch finish mower for the lawns. I got my Bobcat April 2010 and it was delivered with the wrong tires (Turf), I ordered it with Ag tires. I complained, the Ags ended up on back order and to keep me happy they gave me the Ags and rims for free when they arrived.

While waiting for the Ags, I found the turf tires great to use and found they had more traction than I had anticipated. I can mow in 2wd with no problems with no slipping up a rather steep hill I have. In summer applications, the turf tires are great, no traction issues when using the loader etc. ( My tires are not loaded ). In addition, I pop off the 68in bucket before I mow to get around the trees. Also, it drives like a car with the turfs, real comfortable.

I changed over to the Ags for the winter last month and, I'd forgotten just how much you bounce around with the Ags. Wow, got a groin pull and a sore back the first day!!! (Just kidding). The Ags however are great for the snow.

If you can swing the extra dollars for both sets I would hazard to guess this is a best case scenario. I can tell you that as soon as the snow departs I will be switching over to the turfs.

Fred

/ bobcat 225
I have a CT 235 and use a 5 ft. 3 pt hitch finish mower for the lawns. I got my Bobcat April 2010 and it was delivered with the wrong tires (Turf), I ordered it with Ag tires. I complained, the Ags ended up on back order and to keep me happy they gave me the Ags and rims for free when they arrived.

Fred what made you decide on going with a 3pt finish mower vs. the mmm? Can you see the tracks that the tractor leaves? Have you ever contemplated a flail mower instead of just the finish mower?