Blocking the clutch pedal when parked?

/ Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #1  

j13smiley

Tractor
Kubota L2350
Just browsing around the internet tonight, I find some posts about clutches rusting to the flywheel. People said some Kubotas even came with a block of wood meant to hold the clutch pedal down when parked to keep this from happening.

I've never heard of this before. My tractor (L2350) is parked outside and does not get used very often. Is this really something to worry about?
clutch%20block%20top.jpg
clutch%20block%20side.jpg

/ Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #2  
Leaving any machine outside in the weather for years brings about several varieties of deterioration. Worrying about clutches rusting onto flywheels is too far-fetched for anyone's reasonable concern.

/ Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #3  
Just browsing around the internet tonight, I find some posts about clutches rusting to the flywheel. People said some Kubotas even came with a block of wood meant to hold the clutch pedal down when parked to keep this from happening.

I've never heard of this before. My tractor (L2350) is parked outside and does not get used very often. Is this really something to worry about?View attachment 820766View attachment 820767
Actually, most manufacturers do recommend that clutch pedals be blocked in the disengaged position when a tractor is to be stored for extended periods of time.

I bought a new MF in 2014 that came with a preformed hook in the toolbox to hold the clutch pedal down and instructions in the Operator's Manual regarding how/when to use it.

In my case I did not use it because the tractor was not stored unused for more than a few weeks at any time and I sold it after about three years.

/ Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #4  
Mine came with a metal hook to hold the clutch pedal down. I really only use it when filling up the fuel tank as it lets me sit my 8 gal tank on the floorboard without having it tip over.

/ Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #5  
My Iseki has a permanently mounted hook that you flip up and hook over the pedal so I'm thinking it must be a valid concern. There's been people on this and other forums I'm on that have had the clutch stick as well.

/ Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #6  
I had a truck clutch pedal sieze, yes it can gappen.

My M59 has an OEM latch to hold the clutch pedal in. No wood block required.

/ Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #7  
Actually, most manufacturers do recommend that clutch pedals be blocked in the disengaged position when a tractor is to be stored for extended periods of time.

I bought a new MF in 2014 that came with a preformed hook in the toolbox to hold the clutch pedal down and instructions in the Operator's Manual regarding how/when to use it.

In my case I did not use it because the tractor was not stored unused for more than a few weeks at any time and I sold it after about three years.
If I remember correctly, some Kubota's came with a welded on hook to engage the clutch pedal in the release position.

Of course that don't apply to any tractor with a hydraulic shuttle as they have no dry clutch. Disengagement is done hydraulically.

Why both mine are hydraulic shuttle. That eliminated the dry clutch and eliminates the need to replace it when it's worn out.

/ Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #8  
The manual for my HST Kioti says to disengage the clutch when not in use and has a hook that will hold the pedel depressed. Its not at all far fetched for a clutch to stick to the flywheel.

/ Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #9  
I would be surprised if your Grand L doesn't have a way to lock the clutch down.
{Edit} I looked up your model, and #60 was a block of wood called "32240-15950 PIECE DISTANCE" About $12!!!

Mine is a pin below the petal, down just below the floor boards. A pin to slide into the arm of the pedal, to keep it locked down. I use mind since I never know when (or how long it will be...) before I can get back to the tractor...

/ Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #10  
Have an 1965 power wagon outside that the clutch would stick when not used in months. Starter could start the truck in low gear and driving a short distance with brakes would free it up. Ditto on M59 clutch pedal hook.