Block heater replacement in NH TC33D?

/ Block heater replacement in NH TC33D? #1  

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
NH TC33D Modified with belly pan, limb risers & FOPS. Honda Pioneer 520 & antique Coot UTV
I need to replace the block heater in my New Holland TC33D. I have the part. Just wondering if there is some sort of sealant I should use when installing it, or is it purely a friction fit?

Any other tips and tricks appreciated, either for removing the old heater or installing the new one. I have not really torn in to it yet. Just looking for tips and things to look out for before I do.

/ Block heater replacement in NH TC33D? #2  
I've seen people use Permatex on the press fit heater, but I didn't use anything on the freeze plug replacement block heater on my last 2 tractors and truck. I did use a thread sealer (temperature rated) on the heater element that threaded into the press fit bushing though.
What is important is to not damage the mating surface while removing the original freeze plug, and clean it up prior to pounding in the replacement.
There are plenty of videos on removing freeze plugs. This was the stressful part for me. Sometimes they come out with just moderate work, other times they can seemingly be stuck solid. I do not recommend drilling or tapping a screw into a stubborn freeze plug. Hammer and punch the edge(s) until the plug starts to rotate in the block, then pull it out with pliers.

On edit, I should add that some block heaters are in threaded block ports, which is a totally different animal! I have no idea what your particular machine has.