Oil & Fuel Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA)

/ Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA)
Thanks for the input fellas. Djradz....I went with Jinman's method and it worked fine. A large rag caught most of the fuel so it wasn't really too messy. Started and ran fine. It's cold here and I noticed a few crystals of ice on the base of the filter. I buy my fuel at the same place all the time so I'll leave it until next year and change it again to see if there is any water from this supplier.

My machine is a 2004 that had 100 hours on it when I purchased it last December so someone else could have got a little water in there before I owned it.

One question......the spring at the base of the filter was not present as indicated in the manual. The filter cartridge fit snuggly onto the upper O-ring and seemed to stay in place but should this base spring be there or did NH change the design?

/ Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA) #12  
The spring should be there, or you risk getting unfiltered fuel into the engine...

/ Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA)
Talked to the service guy at the local NH dealership and you're right Hazmat. Spring has been ordered and I'll install it thursday.

/ Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA) #14  
wish I could get clean fuel; I now fill the TC-29d at the truck stop to help with fuel problems. Used to get it at local gas station that also sold diesel; 5 gallons at a time. I kept getting garbage in filter; water; dirt and other unknowns. Fuel from truck stop has only improved situation a little bit. This is a well known chain that does lots of business. My TC 29 has 1100 hours on it and I will guess ( since I purchased so many) I replaced 15 filters; one at each oil change (100hours) and in between when it looses so much power oyu do not have a choice. I have drained tank once thinking it could be one tankful that settled in fuel tank; nope; flushed tank; I now use a fuel conditioner with each fuel fillup and it at least helps with water. I don't know how truckers deal with it.

/ Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA) #15  
dqdave1
You might try a MrFunnel. One of these days, I'll get around to ordering one for myself. I'm wondering how much trash and water is actually at my fuel station where I purchase my fuel for my tractor. Kind of makes a person wonder.

/ Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA) #16  
I too go the 5-6 gal at a time route. Fortuneately, the two gas stations I go to primarily provide gas and diesel fuel to cars and light trucks, so I believe their quality must remain a little better. Keep looking, I think you'll find a good supplier eventually.

/ Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA) #17  
When I visited the NH BOOMER plant in '97, I was suprised to see the tractors reach the end of the line where several overhead hoses reels hung for all the fluids (except engine oil I think). After all fluids were installed the young lady engaged the starter for only about 10-15 seconds before it fired right up. She then exited the seat and looked around under the opened hood for leaks etc. I did not see a wrench in hand although she did spend a few seconds with both hands around the injection pump area. I would think since the engines are pre-run at engine plant in Japan that injection pump and lines are already primed and capped off untill fuel tank line is hooked up during final assembly leaving little air in system. I did about 2 years ago park my tractor on an incline with about 1/8 tank of fuel and it died. It required gravity bleeding and cracking bleeder 2 additional times after starting to purge all air from system, but was still much easier than an older 750 JD a friend ran out of fuel as it required 6-8 to get running and for the next 6 monthe or so it would act up by revving to redline without warning after several weeks of perfect operation.

/ Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA) #18  
Ordered my Mr Funnel today; sounds like a wise investment. It can only help. I have tried a few different fuel locations. Will keep trying but hate going 20 miles when a station with diesel is 1/2 mile from my house. Filter will pay for itself in no time if I can cut back on fuel filter changes and trips to a clean fuel location. I did complain to service station owner; He told me he just purchased the location and will change filter on pump as there was no record of it being changed and he stated it was a smaller tank than the gas tanks and he would buy less more often than the previous owner did. (that is fill the underground tank and wait till it ran very low then order more). Hopefully it will help. Thanks for the info on Mr Funnel.

/ Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA) #19  
In your picture.. see the "9" in between the fuel lines.. now look above that.. should be a small vertical bolt.. this is the bleeder valve.

When I've run out of fuel.. I've always had to bleed the system.. might be different if you're just changing the fuel filter.
I ran my TC45DA out of fuel (fuel gauge doesn’t work).

I have fuel at the bleed screw mentioned in the post I quote. However, still won’t bleed fuel from injectors.

How do I test the fuel shut off solenoid?

Attachments

• 5584E673-8495-4B0F-8CDA-9837D4696D54.jpeg
    5584E673-8495-4B0F-8CDA-9837D4696D54.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
   / Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA) #20  
I ran my TC45DA out of fuel (fuel gauge doesn’t work).

I have fuel at the bleed screw mentioned in the post I quote. However, still won’t bleed fuel from injectors.

How do I test the fuel shut off solenoid?
I tried running a wire directly from the battery to the shut off solenoid, but no change.

Note this is the first time it’s given me any trouble starting period.