Oil & Fuel Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA)

/ Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA) #1  

db2

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA with Jodale Perry cab, NAA Jubilee
I am about to change the fuel filter on the TC40DA. Can anyone indicate to me which is the bleed screw referred to in the manual. Is it the Phillips head hose clamp or is there a specific bleed screw?

As well when I turn over the tractor and pump fuel trough the lines and air out.......won't the tractor start from the residual fuel in the system?

Thanks for the guidance.

Attachments

• 775212-Fuel Lines.jpg
    775212-Fuel Lines.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 3,133
   / Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA) #2  
Are you sure you need to bleed the system? I thought the new diesels took care of that chore, and had systems that primed themselves, without 'fuel-letting', so to speak.

/ Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA)
Maybe I haven't read the manual correctly but on page 3-9 it indicates that you should manually bleed the fuel system (not the injector lines) if you have installed a new fuel filter element. Anyone have any ideas on what I am to do or have had any experience doing this themslves on their TC40DA?

/ Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA) #4  
I have a TC35, which is the same frame as your TC40, but a three cylinder engine instead of a four like yours. From what my experience has been, one fuel filter change, and talking to a service tech at the NH dealer where I bought the tractor, the diesel engine is auto-bleeding. After I put the new fuel filter on, I turned the fuel lever back to the operating position, double-checked all of the other connections, then got on the tractor. I pushed the throttle up about 1/3 of the way, cranked it over a couple of times, and it fired right off. It ran rough for about 1/2 to 1 minute, then ran fine.
I would think your engine would be auto-bleeding also.

/ Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA) #5  
On my nh 7610s, I changed the filter... turned the fuel tap on the tank on, open a plastic thumb screw on the top of the filter housing, turn key to on to get fuel pump running.. then close fuel screw when air stops and fuel bubbles.

After that, start tractor. Ran rough for about 1.5 seconds before all cyls caught.

Soundguy

/ Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA) #6  
I changed the fuel filter on my TC45DA and loosened the hose clamp on the line that goes to the fuel pump like the manual said. I turned the engine over to bleed it then tightened it up. Started it up and it ran for about 20 seconds then died. I had to crack each individual line and bleed it the old school way. I work for the blue "C" engine company and some folks around here say I wouldn't have to bleed anything if I would have filled the filter bowl with fuel before reinstalling it. Hope this works for you.

/ Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA) #7  
In your picture.. see the "9" in between the fuel lines.. now look above that.. should be a small vertical bolt.. this is the bleeder valve.

When I've run out of fuel.. I've always had to bleed the system.. might be different if you're just changing the fuel filter.

/ Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA) #8  
A couple of times when changing the fuel filter and pre-filling the bowl with diesel on the 40D she started right off. Then again more than once I was caught and had to bleed the system using the single bleed screw and it wasn't too bad of an experience. It's better than going to a dentist. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA) #9  
When I last changed my fuel filter, I pre-filled the filter bowl and installed the filter onto the tractor loose. Then I wrapped a rag around the filter bowl and opened the petcock until a little fluid ran out. I finished by tightening the threaded ring and my tractor never skipped a beat. It was a little messy cleaning up the tiny bit of overflowed diesel, but not nearly as messy as it would have been to fool with bleeding the system.

Also, I've only changed my filter once in 950 hours. The old one looked fine when I took it out around 600 hours and my replacement looks great today. For some reason, our diesel here has very little water and trash. In my diesel truck, I've only changed the fuel filter twice in over 300,000 miles. Maybe our mild winter weather here in TX is responsible. I keep thinking that one of these days I'm going to get some water in my diesel, but nothing has turned up yet. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA) #10  
Dave, first to answer your question, although I don't have my manual handy, I'm pretty sure it's the fitting on top of the fitting on the body in your picture, right where the hose attaches.

Now, two other observations. My 40D is almost 5 years old and with many hundereds of hours, and I've yet to change my filter. There is nothing but clean fuel, and of course the filter, /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif in the bowl. There is such a huge variation in the quality of fuel available today, (based mainly on how it's stored) that any manufacturer suggested replacement schedule is almost worthless. Some folks with a poor fuel supply should probably change it every year or less. But for me, in the 13 years I owned my 1720, I only replaced the filter once, and even then it probably wasn't necessary as there was very, very little accumulation of anything in the bottom of the filter bowl and nothing on the filter.

Lastly, if you decide to do it, follow JInman's recommended procedure. I'm pretty sure that you won't have to blead anything if you do so. With Jim's method, although your rag gets a little fuel on it, it's much better than having to go the bleeder route, as that ends up with fuel running down the side of the engine.