Black oil

/ Black oil
Looks like I am not the only one that has low hours on his tractor we should start a club lol

/ Black oil #32  
Our Isuzu's oil is honey colored. Just checked it yesterday. Changed at 50 hours in about its 3rd year maybe. Now at year 9. Will change along with all the filters and coolant next year.

/ Black oil #33  
Looks like I am not the only one that has low hours on his tractor we should start a club lol
Yep - We should update when motor quits and how long it took plus how little hours were on it. In this day and age we use high dollar synthetic oil with filters that have extended use to match oil. Tractors have electronics that adjust everything automatically for maximum efficiency. Like autos as long as it’s working correctly you should see extended service. If anything screws up the you have an extended headache. I use to change oil in my autos every 3,000 with 1 year time limit. Now I change oil (Mobil 1 synthetic 18,000 guaranteed or 1 year along with extended use Mobile filter) every year at inspection time with 5,000 to 10,000 miles on oil. (15,000 miles on 2018 Silverado 4x4 as of Nov. 2021)
Almost 67 years old and never lost a motor! Bought new and have bought used. Most mileage on a vehicle was a 1998 Dodge 360 four by four that purred like a kitten when I sold it with 202,000 miles.

Attachments

• 047A15CE-8647-4CB7-8468-622173FA3E73.jpeg
    047A15CE-8647-4CB7-8468-622173FA3E73.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 58
   / Black oil #34  
For me to do it in 500 hours interval would take forever to reach as I am lucky if I put 20 hours a year on mine but I do it anyways you know the old saying better safe than sorry.
Just saying
Well a Used Oil Analysis (UOA) may let you keep using the same oil forever. And still be safe.

A UOA would also discover things like abnormalities that a simple eyeball might not.
As far as color of oil that may depend on the way your engine works. My Ford 7.3 diesels have a High Pressure Oil Pump, which holds about a quart of oil that is NOT changed during a normal drain and fill. So within a few miles the oil starts to look used.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Black oil #35  
I have all diesel vehicles and every diesel that I have comes out with black oil I don't care if it's 100 or 5,000 mile it's always black tractor trailer black tractor black car black that is quite normal so don't worry about it

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Black oil #36  
Its normal. Its not a gas engine, diesel makes soot, oil encapsulates it. Its fine and doing what its supposed to.

The "kioti engines are know for this because they dont run hot enough...." is a BS line fed to you by the dealer to try and make you go away happy and not ask any more questions.

Its NOT a kioti thing....its a DIESEL ENGINE thing.
Exactly. Agree 100%. I never use synthetic oils in tractors so may there is some difference there? I have so far owned 5 diesel tractors and 4 VW diesels during the last 42 years. Every one of them showed coal black oil and it was blacker than any gasoline engine oil within just a few hours of use too. I'm guessing another reason the Kioti dealer might have fed the OP that BS -- he had that theory, heard it somewhere or made it up and just passed it along like any other ill-founded rumor.

/ Black oil #37  
View attachment 720949My oil comes out so clean my wife wants to add vinegar to it and use as salad dressing!😂☮️✌🏻
Oil Analysis.jpg
I think that's an excellent idea. Kudos to your wife. Just think of all the new minerals that will be added to your diet. So if it has a little diesel fuel or anti freeze bite to it, you'll know right away. Or maybe it will have a slight aluminum flavor.

/ Black oil #38  
.........I'm guessing another reason the Kioti dealer might have fed the OP that BS -- he had that theory, heard it somewhere or made it up and just passed it along like any other ill-founded rumor.
EXACTLY!! I know one tractor dealer in Oregon that insists on using compressor oil in the fuel injection pump/governor. They could not give me a reason for it. So far as I know they are the only dealer in the free world that does this.

/ Black oil #39  
I have all diesel vehicles and every diesel that I have comes out with black oil I don't care if it's 100 or 5,000 mile it's always black tractor trailer black tractor black car black that is quite normal so don't worry about it

Black oil may be normal, but I wonder if it is necessary?

Would a good bypass lubrication system remove the soot particles? Bypass systems filter particles some 10x smaller than standard filters.
rScotty

/ Black oil #40  
Unless you're changing viscosity for winter there's no reason to change it just because winter is coming.

There ARE some diesel engines whose oil doesn't turn black. I won't even try to explain... A friend has a mid-2010s Duramax and he says his oil stays pretty clear-looking: he's like me, an older VW TDI guy, so we know all about oil turning instantly black! Oil in my old Kubota generator doesn't seem to turn black like it does in everything else I have. I cannot explain this.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR