Black oil

/ Black oil #11  
I know it's old school thinking but I change my tractor & mower Diesel engine oil at 50 hour interval and my old engines still purr like new.

For me it's easy to justify: Oil & filters are cheap - Diesel engine overhaul is expensive, even if DIY as I do all maintenance & repairs if needed.

Anyway, the used Diesel engine oil is usually pretty dark and I would not worry much, as long as the oil is not being diluted or the oil level is not going up!

Cheers

View attachment 720517
Oil, filters and air pre cleaners are all cheap. It is like the old commercial, "you can pay me now or pay me later". Make the investment now.

/ Black oil #12  
I’ve seen some new diesels running surprisingly clean oil but in general diesel oil is black.

/ Black oil #13  
I know it's old school thinking but I change my tractor & mower Diesel engine oil at 50 hour interval and my old engines still purr like new.

For me it's easy to justify: Oil & filters are cheap - Diesel engine overhaul is expensive, even if DIY as I do all maintenance & repairs if needed.

Anyway, the used Diesel engine oil is usually pretty dark and I would not worry much, as long as the oil is not being diluted or the oil level is not going up!

Cheers

View attachment 720517

It’s your money to spend as you see fit but both of my machines recommend 500 hour change intervals. Doing it 10x more then recommended is just wasting time and money.

/ Black oil
For me to do it in 500 hours interval would take forever to reach as I am lucky if I put 20 hours a year on mine but I do it anyways you know the old saying better safe than sorry.
Just saying

/ Black oil #16  
Send an oil sample to Blackstone. Peace of mind for about $25.

I have 2 diesel Kubota's, the oil in the zero turn is black within 10 hours, the oil in the big tractor still looks new at twice the hours. Both get changed annually, (~50 hours).

/ Black oil #17  
Its normal. Its not a gas engine, diesel makes soot, oil encapsulates it. Its fine and doing what its supposed to.

The "kioti engines are know for this because they dont run hot enough...." is a BS line fed to you by the dealer to try and make you go away happy and not ask any more questions.

Its NOT a kioti thing....its a DIESEL ENGINE thing.
And the higher percentage of time it runs at far less than operating temperature the more exhaust gasses will get past the rings and into the crankcase.

/ Black oil #18  
It’s your money to spend as you see fit but both of my machines recommend 500 hour change intervals. Doing it 10x more then recommended is just wasting time and money.

Thanks for the advice, maybe I should point out to Kubota and Ford how mistaken their recommendations for their Diesel engines were!
They both recommend 100 hour engine oil change intervals under ideal conditions.

I think I will continue 50 hour intervals since it's not always ideal conditions here.
You know, short 15-20 min runs occasionally etc. etc.
Oh, and it can take 3 years to get 50 hours of use sometimes, sometimes only one year.

Ford manual:
Ford 1310.jpg

Kubota manual:
Kubota.jpg

Cheers

Thinking.jpg

/ Black oil #19  
Thanks for the advice, maybe I should point out to Kubota and Ford how mistaken their recommendations for their Diesel engines were!
They both recommend 100 hour engine oil change intervals under ideal conditions.

I think I will continue 50 hour intervals since it's not always ideal conditions here.
You know, short 15-20 min runs occasionally etc. etc.

Ford manual:
View attachment 720632

Kubota manual:
View attachment 720633
Don't be snarky. Oil and engine technologies change and drain interval recommendations do as well. What was recommended for your 30+ year old engines is different than what is currently recommended for new engines.
It's your dime, do what you want.

/ Black oil #20  
Okay I will go to 500 hour oil change interval starting tomorrow...

:ROFLMAO: