Biometric Safe Reliability

/ Biometric Safe Reliability #1  

jk96

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060
My kids are getting old enough now that its time to secure my handgun. I don't keep the gun loaded but do like to keep a loaded clip with it. I'm looking for a secure safe that is easily & quickly accessable for home security.

I'm looking at the Securelogic wall safes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnwl0jofcYs&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Edeansafe%2Ecom%2Fetl%2D20710%2Ehtml&feature=player_embedded

I like the design, ability to wall mount, gravity open, and was intrigued by the option of a biometric unlocking feature. Looks like they offer the safe in traditional key pad entry or biometric entry.

Anyone have any experience with the biometric safes? My main concerns would be

1. Having to fumble with a key should the safe give a false reject.
2. Giving false access to one of my kids should it malfunction or mis-read somehow.

Thoughts/Opinions? Any other safe mfg. I should be looking at?

JK

Last edited:
   / Biometric Safe Reliability #2  
any safe who's lock is dependent on a battery is asking for trouble if you ask me.

IMHO obscurity is the best version of security for a quick access gun.

perhaps a well camouflaged "safe" whos door opens via magnetic latch. and an everyday item that holds said magnet works great.

(hold the bottom of the precious moments figurine up to the wall in the right spot and the door pops open) YouTube - d01 magnetic lock (ignore the sound, the vid speaks for itself)

/ Biometric Safe Reliability #3  
I've had good luck with V-line safes. They're not to be confused with a true firesafe. However, they allow you to keep a gun out of the reach of a child and still have quick access.

I have one of the closet vaults where I keep a handgun, rifle and shotgun. The rest of my guns stay in a full size fire safe.

/ Biometric Safe Reliability #4  
I have a 5 year old, a 2.5 year old, and a 3 month old so I have the same issues as you. I got an electronic keypad with key back up safe from Wally World. I think it is a honeywell and it was like $88. I also leave a loaded mag but leave it out of the gun and take the slide off before putting the gun away. I have looked at the fingerprint safes at Costco but as of yet haven't pulled the trigger. I like the idea of a wall mount that is concealable. Let me know what you decide to go with.

/ Biometric Safe Reliability #5  
any safe who's lock is dependent on a battery is asking for trouble if you ask me.
I'm curious as to why you say that ?

All the 'electric boxes' (finger print) I've looked into have backup locks/keys.

But I'll definitely agree that "obscurity is the best version of security for a quick access gun". Got 2 'stashed' myself.

But then again, I have no wee ones here.

/ Biometric Safe Reliability #6  
I am a bit paranoid abut the biometric safes. Instead I got a safe the has four digit code I can set. Its easy, fast and can be done in the dark.

Having said I am paranoid about biometric, Disney uses a finger print scanners to keep people from cheating on park passes. Its works fairly well but not well enough for me if I really need to access the safe in the middle of the night.

Later,
Dan

/ Biometric Safe Reliability #8  
I am a bit paranoid abut the biometric safes. Instead I got a safe the has four digit code I can set. Its easy, fast and can be done in the dark.

Having said I am paranoid about biometric, Disney uses a finger print scanners to keep people from cheating on park passes. Its works fairly well but not well enough for me if I really need to access the safe in the middle of the night.

Later,
Dan

Our hospital uses a single fingerprint biometric to control access to all our medications, including narcotics.

/ Biometric Safe Reliability
I decided to go ahead and give the securelogic biometric safe a shot. I was able to find it for only a few dollars more than the advertised price for the keypad version. It will hold up to 6 prints so I figure I can program a couple of prints in case one wouldn't read in an emergency and a backup key can always be used. The fact that I don't have to remember a code ( I have way too many different ones to remember now) is a plus along with the fact that there are no codes for my kids to try and guess at either. I'll follow up with a review after I get it.

jk

/ Biometric Safe Reliability #10  
Look forward to a review. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you find it for and what size? Thank