Bigger HST machines.

/ Bigger HST machines. #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Wondering what everyone's thoughts are and if there would be demand for bigger HST machines?

Seems MFG's have hit a plateau. The MX like is as big as Kubota goes, and 4000 series Deere. Other MFG's stop at the same size class of machine....which seems to be one size/series short of what I'd consider my ideal tractor.

I mow probably 300-400 acres a year with an 8' cutter. And while sometimes I wish for more power with my MX5100....I often times find myself wishing for a physically larger machine.

Sure they make a 4066 Deere or a MX6000 Bota, bit they are the same base machine. I don't see a MX6000 helping me. I already fight keeping it cool mowing just due to the nature of mowing and plugging the radiator. Pushing the SAME engine harder with the same cooling system is only gonna get hotter faster.

But ideally....a 5000 series Deere....like a 5075 or a Kubota M in the 70 HP range would be perfect if HST. Sit higher and the much taller front tires make for a much nicer riding machine when trying to mow 7+ mph.

Anyone got some inside connections at any of the big MFGs and know if this is something they are even considering? Or is this the upper limits for the foreseeable future?

/ Bigger HST machines. #2  
Parasitic power loss and residual heat eliminates them from bigger machines. IH built one years ago but it never was popular. Bigger machines utilize an IVT or CVT trans or on Kubota's case (medium sized machines, a hydraulic shuttle / wet clutch main transmission. Mowing that much with an 8 foot? Think I'd move up to a bat wing at least.

/ Bigger HST machines. #4  
For mowing like that, why not just get a big cheap 2wd gear tractor? Or I guess much wider mower that puts the speed limitation on pto hp and not field smoothness?

/ Bigger HST machines. #6  
Wondering what everyone's thoughts are and if there would be demand for bigger HST machines?

Seems MFG's have hit a plateau. The MX like is as big as Kubota goes, and 4000 series Deere. Other MFG's stop at the same size class of machine....which seems to be one size/series short of what I'd consider my ideal tractor.

I mow probably 300-400 acres a year with an 8' cutter. And while sometimes I wish for more power with my MX5100....I often times find myself wishing for a physically larger machine.

Sure they make a 4066 Deere or a MX6000 Bota, bit they are the same base machine. I don't see a MX6000 helping me. I already fight keeping it cool mowing just due to the nature of mowing and plugging the radiator. Pushing the SAME engine harder with the same cooling system is only gonna get hotter faster.

But ideally....a 5000 series Deere....like a 5075 or a Kubota M in the 70 HP range would be perfect if HST. Sit higher and the much taller front tires make for a much nicer riding machine when trying to mow 7+ mph.

Anyone got some inside connections at any of the big MFGs and know if this is something they are even considering? Or is this the upper limits for the foreseeable future?
If I were mowing that much, shuttle all the way. There is a reason they dont make larger HSTs.. there is no market. If you need a true farm or utility tractor then it should be geared. If you are doing mostly loader or dirt work, HST is better imo.

/ Bigger HST machines. #8  
As noted IH made some larger ones back in the 70's & 80's (my grandfather had one of the IH Hydro 86 tractors - with a front loader) ...and for a lot of the reasons mentioned larger tractor designs have pretty seemed to shy away from hydrostatic transmissions since.

Given many applications for larger tractors involve draft work (where the cons of an HST aren't helpful), and heavier loader applications generally lead to more purpose built machines (e.g. telehandlers, wheel loaders, etc.) I doubt there will be any larger frame tractors with HST coming out any time soon. Not really many applications (that I can think of) where high PTO HP and the level of independent speed control HST provides are really needed.

Higher HP perhaps, just because of advances in engine/combustion technology... but physically larger machines probably not any time soon. Not sure there's enough demand in the horse/hay-grower market for such a tractor..... though that'd probably be were such a tractor would likely make the most sense.

Though given the number of small companies building new purpose built cultivating tracotrs (Oggun Tractor, Tilmor, Tuff-Bilt), a larger HST tractor may not be far off ...that or a more mainstream all electric (though that may depend on well Solectrac does with their tractors).

/ Bigger HST machines. #9  

Isn't that kind of the divider between utility and Ag tractors?

/ Bigger HST machines.
Not sure I agree that there is no demand.

20+ years ago the only HST were B-sized and 2000 series Deere sized machines.

Then they upped it to include L and 3000 sized machines.

Then it went to Mx/4000 sized machines.

Just wondering when the next step is. HST is proven technology now....it certainly can't be a physical limitation. Heck....10000 pound 100hp skid loaders are HST.

The "need" for HST is for infinite speed and darn dear instant direction change without levers or buttons. No gears to shift to find the right speed. Not even sure why that is in the realm of discussion as to "why". There is nothing that can hold a candle to HST for what I do. There is no other option where I can go 8mph in thin areas...and slow down to 1-2 mph if I need to without changing gears or flipping levers. Just simply lift off the go pedal. It's as natural as driving a car with an accelerator pedal.