Big Brother - WW

/ Big Brother - WW #21  
Dr Yo is my “go to” for questions on welding gear.

/ Big Brother - WW #22  
- do u use it for flux core and solid?

Yes either process as required.

It will help minimize spatter buildup so that all you need to do is wipe it off.

/ Big Brother - WW
ok fellas..............here goes, my first attempt at welding mig with c25 gas and some stick welds with the same machine

.30 wire and all auto settings the lincoln chose for me

Left to right, first run was 1/8" 7018, next run was 1/8" 7014 - i didnt clean anything on that weld, total rust, had a lil trouble keeping the 7014 lit for some reason - 1/8 inch piece of angle on .345 thick place
weld 1.jpg

left to right in pic, short run of 1/8" 7018 and long run of 1/8" 7014 against .345 plate and .250 wall square tubing.
weld2.jpg

same .345 plate .250 sq tube, left side of pic is my left hand going to center and right side is right hand moving left to center couldnt get it positioned to run it with my right hand all the way.
weld3.jpg

left to right, mig - center section 3/32 6011, had trouble keeping it lit - far right side i was trying to set manual mig settings to see if i could run different speed etc and find a way to see puddle better and it piled up on me with the mig.
weld5.jpg

this is what i was welding on, adding the square tubing to my winch to allow it to slide into a receiver hitch for using on my trailer or truck or tractor by just sliding it into the hitch tube - i also made a handle to carry it with out of a piece of chain with a piece of garden hose to help it from tearing into your hand
welder plugs.jpg

this is the winch I was working on, got new control cable wired, receptacle replaced, now need to get end/hook crimped on
winch 1.jpg

mu only beef at this point was they should have added a mark/locating arrow, indentation, something for the plugs, i wrapped a piece of red tap and made a mark with sharpie to get the locating pin for the twist lock at the 12 oclock position for plugging/storing/changing easier
winch2.jpg

well the pix didnt come out with the writing like i had anticipated, oh well its a puzzle you can put together - my first impressions were simple and easy to get running, however a little vague in the manual for rollers and guides but i figured it out. Could use a little better explanation for a first timer market machine.

i write technical documentation for our technicians at work and i have been picked apart so I am very sensitive to this kind of thing maybe a little over the top so grain of salt for some

no real beefs with it, i noticed a time or two i presume i was too close to the material and the wire was pushing into it and i was not moving fast enough it started what i will call ratcheting the wire, or maybe it was slipping not quite sure but when i held my hand properly and move the tip it never hiccuped.

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Big Brother - WW #24  
I think I got your pictures formatted better, is that more like you intended?

Aaron Z

/ Big Brother - WW
I think I got your pictures formatted better, is that more like you intended?

Aaron Z

looks way better than i did ha!!!

i dont think the part about the plugs/mark with sharpie match but im not complaining thanks for doing that - i ran my winch by the riggers shop today and they put a hook on it and looped the cable end for me so im ready to buy something and drag it onto my trailer now LOL what shoudl i get next.......hmmmmmm :scratchchin:

/ Big Brother - WW
just thot i would check in and say i have used the unit on 110, 220, mig w/c25 only, 7018, 6011, 6010, 7014 and 3/32, 1/8 rod at max watt on 220 for about and hour welding 1/2 plate on bucket and no issues at all - never hit duty cycle, nothing wierd or quirky, i welded on my thin little yard dump wagon on 110 that was fun, im not very good but learned a lot, i havent really disliked anything notable so far to the extent of a rant. will keep you posted if I do